Too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canyon15

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new tank as my old one had a seal that started to let go. This one is a 65 with the dims of 36x18x26. I have one 250 MH now that is not yet mounted. Due to a center brace I was thinking of getting another 250. Is this too much? I realize this is about 7.7 wpg which is not too much but what about the overlap of light that would occur? Any input is appreciated.

The question is really yours to answer..Is it too much or too little...For what you want to keep. As an example check out last months TOTM at reefcentral..
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/totm/index.php
Notice this is a 107g tank with 296w of light over it!! Look at the thing, its obviously awesome! Now, you'll also notice that the system has a lot more to it than a 'glass cage' and some lights but the staunch fundamentalists would balk at such a low watt per gallon ratio growing (Obviously very successfully) such amazing SPS.
So the first question any hobbist should ask themselves is 'what is it I am most interested in keeping' and next 'what kind of lighting will it require'. It always seems funny to me that folks start bass ackwards ; ) if one starts with the lights then the logical answer is 'what is best suited to my lighting?'. In your case at 7.7 per gal in such a small tank probably anything you wanted though softies (zoos, leathers, etc) have a tough time under such intense lighting. I say put yout mind to design on the front end and you will have much less re-thinking (And losses) on the back end.

Peace!

Exactly! Figure out what you want to keep first. Then get lighting that is best for them.

I have to agree. Figure out a plan for your tank and then adjust to it. Using myself for example I decided I wanted a soft coral and LPS coral tank so I got VHO`s that would be good for those type corals and proceeded. Check out my gallery for results.

I would like to get a carpet anemone. This is the main reason for the MH but also there are a lot of SPS that interest me.

Carpet anemones tend to be difficult to keep in tanks, you will need to watch it and keep your water pristine.

Back
Top Bottom