Top heavy aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamemnon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a 90 gal SW aquarium. The center of gravity is about 40" off the ground and the base is 20" wide (10" from center). I am unsure about the effect of water sloshing about affecting the balance of the aquarium. No, I am not snorkeling in my aquarium, but I do live 1 mile from the San Andreas fault. Maybe I am just paranoid...but I looking info so I can get a better grasp on the possibility/probability of tipping over. BTW my landlord won't let me bolt the stand to the wall :( .

If the stand is designed for your tank, I see no problems. Plus AFAIK, that stand rests on the ground with a force of around 110lbs per sq. ft. (with a full tank); that should keep it firmly planted on the ground! It's 4x2x2 ft. right?

Aquamemnon,

I had a 55 gallon tank that I wasn't completely convinced of its stability when I lived 30 miles from the epicenter of the 1987 Loma Preita quake. That 7.1 sloshed about 6 inches of water out of the tank, but the tank (acryllic) and stand were fine. I did have the tank placement on the stand skewed a bit towards the wall, relative to dead center placement, and the building I was in was timber framed. You should be OK. I'd be more concerned if you lived on top of the Hayward Fault. Good luck.

My tank has similar dimensions. Its over twice as high as it is wide, but good luck trying to budge it! The weight of the water will take care of any wobble you might have now. (just be sure your stand Is strong and made to support a fish tank of that size.)

Securing it to the wall or to the floor is the only way to guarintee it wont topple but realistly when you add water and what not that thing is going to be very stable. If its still wobbly after being filled with water then you got problems with either the stand not being stable or the floor itself is giving from the weight to much.

Mine is a 46 gallon bowfront with the stand that came with it. I attached the stand to a wall because my two year old son likes to run up to the tank, and I know that he could knock it over easily if it wasn't attached.

One more thing, mine is on a carpeted floor. If it was on a hard floor I'm sure it would be more stable.

Hahaha, finally something I know something aboot!!!! Aquamemnon, you have nothing to worry about, if you do, worry about your entire house, not the fish tank!!!

I tank your size would have to be tipped to almost a 40 degree angle from verticle to all over!!! With the prestated 110 lbs/ft2, that would take a pushin force of nearly half a ton!!! Also, in the event of an earth quake, the fish tank is probaby the least likely thing in your house to topple. They actually use huge "fish tanks" to steady skyscrapers. Ok, so they are just water tanks, and there aren't any fish in them, but it's the point that matters.

Water has a natural counterbalancing effect, when you push your tank in one directions the water builds up on the far side, which seems to push the tank further, but then the water slides down in a wave and continues all the water to the other side of the tank, taking 95% of the force with it, thus counterbalancing itself. In an earthquake the movements would be in every direction anyways, so the water would mosty just giggle. If you want to experiment, fill a glass with water that is tall, but not bigger on top than on bottom. Tilt it and let it go and different distances, you'll quickly observe the idea!

Good day all.

Thanks all, for the good information...my paranoia is now limited to that cabal of fish in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom