Top Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so I have done some research and cannot seem to find a clear way to do a good gravity fed top off system. I was thinking of going electric but there are just so many more ways that this could fail... or am I wrong. Neilanh's top off was pretty cool...(not to scare you if you read this) but what if the pump fails and you are away for a day or two... I dont know I just need a little information to kind of jump start my next project. I guess I am just confused. I want something that will hold about 5 - 7 gallons of water. That would probably last me about 4 days or so... That is an estimate. I use a cup(for drinking) now so I dont know how much I go through in a day. That and it relies on my skimmer some too as to how much in a day it takes out.

Have you looked into float valves? I think they can work with gravity fed systems.

Well I decided to go with the dual float switch and the dosing/top off pump. I keep an eye on the tank all the time anyways and this will allow for me to make water more frequently. It will Im sure help my tank.

I settled for the one that BRS sells. It's worked flawlessly for over a year now. No problems at all...It has two float valves, One as a failsafe and I picked up another for a low level for the container that the water is in so I don't burn the pump.
Knock on corals.......
TC

This may not be exactly what your looking for, but it's the autotopoff.com dual switch ATO.

The float switches keep the water level constant in the sump. The upper 1 is a safety incase the lower switch fails.
ato1_5-09.jpg

The float switch turns on/off the powerhead which feeds the sump. The float valve inside the container is connected to my RO/DI to keep the container full.
ato2_5-09.jpg

The whole sump/ATO setup.
ato3_5-09.jpg

ccCapt: Why not just have the float valve in your sump and refill directly from your R/O?

I am asking because this is what I plan on doing, unless there is a good reason not to? I have 5g in my Pressure tanks from my R/O that's more than enough to Top Off my sump.

-TheChad

2 reasons.
1- My RO is also connected to a faucet for drinking. The RO/DI goes into the storage container. If I have my RO/DI running, there is no water at the RO faucet. I only run the RO/DI when the container gets low. It's not on all the time.
2- It is VERY DANGEROUS to have a continual source of freshwater going directly into your sump. If the float valve fails or gets stuck, it can flood the system with freshwater, drop your salinity and kill everything in your tank.

Very interesting points being made here. I did not go to autotopoff.com but I got the dual switch just like yours is setup. I am going to be filling a container with ro/di and a powerhead or so in it. A 5-7 gallon bucket will sit next to my tank and I will fill this bucket as needed. From the bucket it will go into my sump. Pretty good?

That's what I have. I got my unit from autotopoff.com. I thought it was from BRS but it's from ato.com.

Very interesting points being made here. I did not go to autotopoff.com but I got the dual switch just like yours is setup. I am going to be filling a container with ro/di and a powerhead or so in it. A 5-7 gallon bucket will sit next to my tank and I will fill this bucket as needed. From the bucket it will go into my sump. Pretty good?
Sounds like a plan. Should work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom