Torch & Hammer coral...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought a hammer coral yesterday but does anyone know what is the minimum distance that I need to separate the two? I heard that both their tentacles can reach quite a distance at night but my tank is relatively small and doesn't seem like I can separate them too far away.

Anyone know what will be the consequenses if their do come contact with each other after a while?

Comment and advise is very much appreciated.

I would start with at least 6 inches and keep an eye on them for any signs of chemical warfare

Yes I would go more then 6". I had a Hammer and a Frogspawn that killed each other over night. They were like 4 inches apart.

6 inches is a good spot but the best bet would be to put them on oppisite sides of tank.

I'm gonna hijack the thread too. I was going to go get my first corals next week. How do I know which species are chemically incompatible? Or is it only an issue if they can physically touch each other?

I moved the other subject off to it`s own thread. I`m leaving yours because it does have something to do with the Original question. As far as your question most LPS corals do have sweeper tenticles that will sting other corals. That is why you have to give them space. There are also certain corals, Leathers come to mind, that wage chemical warfare. These are also triggered by corals being too close to each other.

Would the Leather's chemical kill a fish? I lost a small (seeming healthy) goby less than a day after adding a yellow leather and the fish was last seen perching in the Leather.

If it was bad enough I`m sure it could. The fish would not have triggered the chemical warfare. just a coral that your leather felt was a threat to him.

Listen guys, I have a torch, 2 types of frogspawn, candy cane coral, anemones, zoanthids, pathythoas. a green tree leather, and a huge devils hand leather, galaxia, xenia, and gsp. I run carbon 24/7 with a remora HOB skimmer and 2 maxijet 1200s. I don't see any chemical warfare, and everything is just fine. Just give your corals a bit of space and good flow. Also, don't be afraid to break off branches of corals and move them to avoid contact. The real problem is preventing corals like GSP and xenia from taking over other corals. HTH.

P.S. You can get a 5g bucket of carbon for like 60 bucks if you look around, this stuff lasts me forever and makes my tank beautiful. Good luck!

I agree. A lot of people have issues with LPS corals and their chemicals (which can't kill fish to the best of my knowledge) but running a skimmer and carbon takes care of those problems. I have 3 kinds of brain corals in my tank, torch, blasto, mushrooms, etc. and have never had a problem.

You don't need to worry about getting corals for their chemical compatibility. It's all pretty much compatible if you give them space. :)

Back
Top Bottom