Torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My torch coral has never been as happy since I switched from 6 t5ho bulbs to my led lights. However, it was doing a lot better and the flesh had almost completely grown back down the "stalk" until today. From yesterday looking really good to today having chunks of tissue that have come off and almost completely receded. Any ideas what may have caused this? All of my parameters have stayed the same and all other corals are thriving. I have had the leds since Christmas. My leather has almost doubled in size. Confused but thinking ay be it just simply does not like led lighting.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My understanding is that torches are the least hardy of the three Euphyllia. I love torches though, I have a metalic green that is growing gangbusters, but a ghost yellow right next to it did as yours, just sorta came apart. No reason, exact same evereything as torch next to it, yet 1 thrives and 1 dies. I just chalked it up to bad luck or something that happened to the frag long before I got it. My frogspawn and hammer are doing fine too.

Helpful, aint I?

There's no brown jelly like substance coming from it is there? I agree with above, torches are the least hardy but a change in lights shouldn't kill it

Fortunately and unfortunately I discovered the problem. (I believe) one of the kids (definitely not myself lol) must've unplugged the heater from the controller. My tank had dropped from 27 to 25 degrees Celsius. Sucks that I can blame myself for not noticing because it was sure doing good. I very much doubt it will recover after losing so much flesh.

A 3 degree temp drop should not kill the coral. I disagree that's the problem.

A 3 degree temp drop should not kill the coral. I disagree that's the problem.

+1, I've left my heater unplugged for close to a day with no long lasting side effects, and the temp dropped from 79 to the 50s. This will be almost impossible with out pictures, params, lighting, and maintenance schedule

Hmm. So maybe just bad luck. I can post a pic tonight and recheck all parameters. I had read somewhere that they are super sensitive to the temp changes and with it dropping so quick it could be a problem. Our overnight temps are still falling below freezing so our house temp drops quite a bit at night with our furnace now off. Tank temp likely dropped fairly fast. I will trust that wasn't it though, check parameters and go from there.

So u can see in this pic where the tissue was originally with th t5ho setup and where it had grown back to after receding. Now it is fully receded all the way up.

Pic

Not sure why my phone won't upload the pic

There

Attachments

• 1398989064070.jpg
    1398989064070.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 114
Back