torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MROLFE82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my torch coral is not doing well. I seem to be able to keep torch corals about a year and then the began to slowly die. I do have a level of 50ppm nitrates that I am trying to get down. This is a recent rise. My tank is 6 years old and I have not had problems until now. I just tested and here are the results; PH 8.3, Ammonia 00.0, Nitrites 0.00, Nitrates 40ppm, salinity 1.022, and temp 78. I use reef complete calcium, coral vital, reef iodide. reef complete reef essentials, and add buffers as needed, along with a 25% water change monthly. :cry: I run the lights for 12 hours per day.

Any and all replys will be appreciated!!!

mike

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
NO3 is certainly high for a reef tank. Are you able to post ALK, CA, PO4 and Iodine levels? I would say your immediate challenge is to get the NO3 down to an acceptable level. High NO3 is most commonly caused by over-stocking and over-feeding. Can you please list your tank's size, livestock and feeding schedule (what you feed and how often)? What type of filtration do you have? I would increase water changes to 15-20% once a week using a high-quality RO/DI water. You can stop dosing any additives or suppliments during this time.

Thanks for the reply! Tank size is 75 gallon bow front. I feed frozen mysis shrimp small cube daily, along with prime reef flake food. Then once or twice a week i feed frozen bloodworms. I have a undertank sump with 500 bioballs in it and a seaclone 100 protien skimmer. I will test for the other levels tou requested and post them later.

mike

Do you thaw and rinse the frozen food in RO/DI water before putting it in the main? The liquid in the frozen food can pollute a tank very quickly. I would cut back feedings to once every other day. Light feedings. The bioballs may also be part of the problem. They have a tendency to catch detritus which, in turn, can cause NO3 to climb. Better option would be to replace them with LR rubble. What fish are currently in the tank? How much LR in the tank?

You have not described exactly how these corals are meeting their end. Could you provide a brief description of appearance and behavior?

lando said:
Are you able to post ALK, CA, PO4 and Iodine levels?
:?: :?: :?:

Cheers
Steve

I never thought about rinising the food in R,O water first, so I will do that from now on and cut back on feedings. The fish int he tank right now are a 7 inch 6 year old yellow striped maroon clown, a mandarin goby that is fat from eating the mysis shrimp and the bristle worms in the tank, and a blue damsel that is about three inchs long.
When the corals start to fail, they start to open less fully over a long period of time and slowly the polyps start to become fewer and fewer. They will look great all day and then when the lights come back on in the morning, the polyps will look deflated and gray in color, and will take half the day to began to look normal again.

thanks!!

mike

Sounds more likely to be either a chemistry issue, which you have not yet posted the results for, the excessive nitrates or both.

Unless you actually saw some brown jelly like material encompassing the coral crowns, I'm more likely to suspect the chemistry.

Cheers
Steve

I believe brown jelly infrctions kill corals very rapidly, you would be less-likely to see a slow demise in appearence. I am betting on water chemistry as well, I suspect the high NO3 level may be a major player in the problem. Work hard over the next few weeks with water changes to get the NO3 down. Again...how much LR is in the tank?

what type of water are you using? Tap or ro/di...what type of lighting and how often do you change out the bulbs. have you tested for po4 and silicates? As you know high no3 is not good for corals.

I am running power compacts at a total of 470 watts for 12 hours a day. Calcium is 600ppm, alk is 8.2 and I do not have a phosphate test kit.
Iuse 50% tap water and 50% ro on the advice of the LFS.

MROLFE82 said:
Calcium is 600ppm
Major component of the problem right there. You will need to post the alkalinity before a proper "fix" can be suggested as well as the reading for a new batch of SW after mixing for ½ a day. The high Ca is causing severe stress and most likely polyp bailout.

Several large water changes over the next week or so should help, saltmix readings depending. You have either a Mg deficiencey causing the Ca to climb independantly or you have been dosing additives without testing properly. If the alk is quite low, this will be a Mg issue. If the alk is in the right range, you've been using additives. Either way, you need to do some water changes.

I use 50% tap water and 50% ro on the advice of the LFS.
Poor advice, if RO is available to you, use that alone. Tap water depending on analysis will often promote unwanted algaes and can contribute to No3 and the chemistry adversely. RO/DI is even better still but definately RO over tap.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom