Tridacna clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really want one!! How hardy/hard to keep are they? What's the easiest species. Maxima is what I want because of the blue coloration. How big do they get? Is there a certain tank size they need? Are they completely photosynthetic?

The more brightly colored the clam, the more light it will need. A darker (gold color mantles etc) don't require as much light...but still need a good amount.

Depends on the depth of ur tank. Most sites recomemd mh lighing. If ur have a small tank then it should be good. They are big enoufjt that the navy used to call them man eaters and even developed a training exercise on how to cut its mantle to release ur self. I read that ok Wikipedia

I had a gold maxima in a 4 bulb that did ok for awhile. I probably wouldn't do it again if i had the same circumstances. I'd still recommend at least a 6+ bulb fixture for clams. A Maxima will get way too big for a 29g tank. You might want to try a crocea clam; a smaller cousin of the maxima if you end up upgrading/getting more lights.

A friend of mine has a maxima that is 25 years old is almost 20" across. It is huge. It's in a 100 g. And takes up almost half the tank. They get really big! It's under 4 t5s.

Make sure we are talking about same clams here. Maxima gets to be 8 inches or so max. T.gigas is the giant clam. Maxima are fairly hardy after about 2"inches and only require high light intensities. Good water quality is a must for them. They will still filter feed but it's not dependent on it. Metal halides, I feel, are a must have for success.

Bige said:
A friend of mine has a maxima that is 25 years old is almost 20" across. It is huge. It's in a 100 g. And takes up almost half the tank. They get really big! It's under 4 t5s.

Wow 25 years!!!!

They get huge in the ocean. But not as big un captivity. 20" is big and is love to see that. I read when they are under two inches u need to feed them a lot ohyto and such. After that light takes over. I usually always buy the smallest of whatever I'm getting cuz I love to watch it grow I would be proud of a 25 year old clam. That's cool

Back
Top Bottom