Trigger Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just fed a half cube of mysis again and this time he really went to town, he came towards the front of the tank even to get food. Now I've seen him swim through the back of the tank and he even swam near the front of the glass to the other side twice. He still seems a little shy but is really warming up. The only thing im worried about is will he get enough food. What do you guys feed your triggers. Usually I feed pellets to my tank daily or every other day. Then usually spurilina brine and mysis every 3 days. I also feed a sheet of nori every week to my tangs. I also have some squid in my freezer and I will have to get some silversides. Anything else I'm missing? Lmk. Also another problem that I'm noticing which I may bring up b/c im talking feeding is that my Yellow tang will not beef up. He almost looks anorexic yet he eats like a horse. If you look at the pictures above hes in one. You can see right through him. Yet all my other fish are huge and stocky. I feed really heavily and rely on WC and my media.

The tang will bulk up on romaine lettuce IMO. The trigger will eat almost any protein. They need something to gnaw to wear their teeth down, so silversides, large krill, shrimp in shell and clam in shell are all good treats. I wouldn't depend on pellet foods. They are expensive, full of phosphates and expensive. Read some threads on how easy it is to make your own food. It makes a massive difference in the weight of the fish. Most Mysis mixes are pretty light on the usable proteins, brine shrimp in general unless gut loaded are pretty low on the nutrition scale.

Just fed a half cube of mysis again and this time he really went to town, he came towards the front of the tank even to get food. Now I've seen him swim through the back of the tank and he even swam near the front of the glass to the other side twice. He still seems a little shy but is really warming up. The only thing im worried about is will he get enough food. What do you guys feed your triggers. Usually I feed pellets to my tank daily or every other day. Then usually spurilina brine and mysis every 3 days. I also feed a sheet of nori every week to my tangs. I also have some squid in my freezer and I will have to get some silversides. Anything else I'm missing? Lmk. Also another problem that I'm noticing which I may bring up b/c im talking feeding is that my Yellow tang will not beef up. He almost looks anorexic yet he eats like a horse. If you look at the pictures above hes in one. You can see right through him. Yet all my other fish are huge and stocky. I feed really heavily and rely on WC and my media.

I make up my own fish food ( thanks to mr x) I usually cut up some squid,mussels,clams shrimp, fresh fish ,nori,zoe etc into tiny pieces or put it into a blender and then freeze it flat into a small ziplock bag , .. I usually feed every other day and just break or cut off a small piece for him to eat. , also they seem to spend a lot if time nibbling on about everything in the tank anyway.

After christmas i was gonna go to my LFS for silversides, I'll also have to pick up Krill. On the clams and shrimp with shells, do you grab yours at the Grocery Store and how do you know its ok for fish? Same thing goes for the lettuce where do you get yours and how do you feed?

I make up my own fish food ( thanks to mr x) I usually cut up some squid,mussels,clams shrimp, fresh fish ,nori,zoe etc into tiny pieces or put it into a blender and then freeze it flat into a small ziplock bag , .. I usually feed every other day and just break or cut off a small piece for him to eat. , also they seem to spend a lot if time nibbling on about everything in the tank anyway.

How much does it cost you to make your own food?

How much does it cost you to make your own food?

Actually very very little,... A couple of clams,a squid etc goes a long way and it's probably be so much healthier for the fish,...you could prob spend 5 bucks and it'll last you a couple of months at least

Heres my feeding schedule. Only reason im mentioning it is because my lt. Tang is the shape of a submarine (huge belly) and my purple tang is getting there. I feed on a 2 day system. Day 1- NLS / hikari pellet mix with green/purple sheet algae. Day 2 is frozen (used to be formula 1, emerald entree, pe mysis, chopped clam, bloodworms, all soaked in selcon ,but i too recently switched to a homemade food as some have stated above) that mixture is now shrimp, tilapia, flounder, clam, and mussel, all fresh of course and processed in a blender. Long description? Yes ... fat fish? Oh yeah

Back
Top Bottom