Triggers & Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just read an article in the October issue of TFH Magazine that Niger Triggers should not be kept in a tank less than 75 gal. I have a 50 gal and bought this tank primarily for triggers. I'm planning on keeping a niger and a huma huma and possibly a tang and eel in the future. I have kept triggers, tangs and eels in a 30 gal a few years back. If Anyone has any experience with triggers/eels with similar size tank, I'd love to hear how they did.

I've seen people with 50g tanks that have a pink tail, a niger, yellow tang, a snowflake eel, and a lepeord eel together and they said that nothing ever happens between the triggers and others. the only thing he has had a problem with are the eels are semi - aggressive towards each other. also, i believe he said that if you put them in all in within a week or two apart, the triggers won't have enough time to become territorial against the others. but don't take my word for it, god knows i'm already on the watch list around here :mrgreen: :mrgreen: if it was me, i think i would go ahead and do it, but thats just me (y) :) :)

The reason for the larger tank is not necessarily because of aggression (although aggression is a strong possibility) it is due to the size of the adult fish. A full grown niger trigger will be very close to a foot long as well as the huma huma.

50g tanks that have a pink tail, a niger, yellow tang, a snowflake eel, and a lepeord eel together

For this combo, I would recommend nothing less than a 125. Think in terms of keeping a rotweiller in a closet for it's entire life.

if you get them as babies you could get away with it for awhile but not for their entire life.be careful on how much you feed them. then they grow slowly in my experience.as babies i mean like 3.5to 5 inches.

they are recommended for at least a 55gallon...Thats just the consideration for one. If you plan on keeping more than one, i recommend getting then young and very small and introduce at the same time to cut back on aggression. HTH

I am going to have a NIger in my 55 gallon. But I am buying him as a baby because my guess is soon, I will want another BIGGER tank :hat:

Back
Top Bottom