Trimming Chaetomorpha algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fuge in my system that consists of 3 30g containers; one is dedicated to lr, dsb, and chaeto. I started out with one softball size ball of chaeto; it is now touching all four sides of the container!

How much is too much? Will parts of it die if there is too much in the container? I do have a lot of pods/etc. that have seemingly come out of nowhere in the fuge that are taking refuge in the algae, or swimming around it.

How often do you trim down your algae?

I trim mine when it starts to fill the container. I trimmed mine way back a few months to make room for some frags but it is growing back again :)

The stuff I got from Ellisz a while back is spreading like crazy. I'm almost ready to trim it back myself.

Dont forget that that macro algea is sucking up some nitrates. Good for your tank

I trimmed mine so it will at least be able to move around slightly in the fuge, I"m trying to trim the portions that aren't as dark green as the rest- lt green, or very rarely the pieces that have some brown on them. I hope this is a good approach..
Q: Occasionally I see sections that have small bubbles on them also green..are these new algae growths, or should I trim those out?

Back
Top Bottom