Trouble in Paradise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well it has happened. I started my tank in December and have been without a glitch since the start. Last week I lost my Blue hippo tang and coral beuaty. I think it was ich that did them in. Here is what I have left in an isolation tank: I treated the fish with Organi Cure (copper based medication).The water parameters were perfect (Temp 79, Ph8.2,Sg 1.023, No nitrate or ammonia). All the fish were there since the start up and I have not added anything since January. Any suggestions. And when can I add new fish. I was thinking about a yellow or blue tang and a flame angle. Perhaps a butterfly.

Isolation:
10g
2 perc clowns
1 sri lanka dottiback
1 six line wrase.

Main Tank:
55G overflow
70lbs LR
40 lbs sand
2 star fish (sandsifting/?)
Snails/hermit crabs/feather duster

Are you sure it was ich? Did they develop salt like grains on them? Sorry for you loss.
If your main is a 55G, that might be too small for that tang. I have never owned one, but I believe that is the general consensus, from my reading. Please feel free to correct me, anyone.

What did you add in Jan? Were they fighting or not eating?

If in fact the fish did die of ich then your main needs to be fishless for 8 weeks to break the cycle.

You can add vitamin c drops to your tank to strengthen the fish's immune system and make them more resistant to ich. I add it to my frozen food along with garlic and have never had an ich problem in my current tank. I had ich in my old 55g and I was told to add vitamin c and within a few days I saw an improvement in the fish and it eventually went away without having to quarantine or killing snails.

Thanks for the reply. I did not add any fish in Jan. All of the fish were added at the same time. In terms of the size of the tank the fish were all small, the blue tang was 1" when I got him and before he died he was around 2.5". I undersytand that a BHT fully grown should have a bigger tank but I thought he would be OK until then.
In terms of the ick, yes they had salt like granuals on head,fins,tail.They are all in the isolation tank and the main tank will be fallow for 8weeks.

Good deal. Do you have a refractometer, or are you going w/hypo treatment....
I guess I have a question, if they don't show signs of ich in the QT, do they need to be treated?"

Back
Top Bottom