Trouble with Macro Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was looking at my fuge this morning and noticed that my feather caulpra was white and looked like it was dying. Is this normal? If not what can I do to make sure that it can live? As of right now I have my fuge lights on 24/7 with some live rock and some cheato in it as well. TIA......

Sounds as if it has gone "sexual". I would pull it all out as soon as possible... It may foul your water if not.

I don't know how to make it live. If there is any green parts of it left, leave that in. I would pull all the white out though. It is dead plant now.

Caulerpa generally require 9 to 10 hours of light from fluorescent tubes, daily.

I actually have it growing in my main, came in on LR and has spread to two LRs now. I run my lights 8 hours, and they seem to be growing at an incredible rate. I am still kinda new to them. But I think they do need a "rest period" from the sunlight. i failed college biology, twice, LOL! But photosynthesis, generally requires a light and dark cycle...but I could be totally wrong...BTW, I aced Geology!! Rock cycle was much easier than the biological cycles.....LOL!!

Actually, its reccomended that you leave your lights on 24/7 to keep macros from going sexual. I'm not sure why....something that keeps the cells sterile I guess.

FWIW, its not a guarantee with the lights and I've read that feather caulerpa goes sexual the easiest.

Actually, its reccomended that you leave your lights on 24/7 to keep macros from going sexual.

Yeah, I have read different articles, and like I said, I have some growing in my main and it is relatively new. So should I do something with mine? Mine is...ack, nevermind, I have:
Porphyra umbilicalis, it is red. Sorry but thanks Devilishturtles for the info!

I have not had luck keeping macros. I've had two species (grape and cup caulerpa) go sexual in my main tank. It was not pretty... I guess if I had to do it all over again and was to advise someone I'd say to keep it trimmed back very well. I wasn't very diligent at it (mainly because I liked it!) and I think that was my problem.

Only part of the plant went white on me, and I mean like two or three leaves out of a whole bunch. But anyway, I have two qeustions:

1. What does going sexual mean?
2. Should I remove the white spots and keep the green and how much damage can it do?

I heard that feather was the best for a fuge, is this wrong?

1. What does going sexual mean?

I believe it is "asexual". In asexual reproduction, one individual produces offspring that are genetically identical to itself. These offspring are produced by mitosis. There are many invertebrates, including sea stars and sea anemones for example, that produce by asexual reproduction.

Should I remove the white spots and keep the green and how much damage can it do?

I woul remove the white spots, otherwise you may have problems. I imagine it could muck up your tank, adding a possibly ammonia spike. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Going "sexual" is when the plant becomes "fertile" again pretty much. It releases all of its gametes into the water column and therefore dies. The gametes starve the water of oxygen, and this is where the problem arise. It comes about due to many things, I believe. Overall stress to the plant.

How is your alkalinity? pH? I do believe that caulerpa can die with low alkalinity. The fact that it is not all white and only a few leaves are is likely not the plant going sexual, so that's a good thing.

For more info on that fun stuff, check out WWM.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caulerpafaqs.htm

Back
Top Bottom