Trumpet coral and flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atari

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been researching Trumpet coral and although most sources agree it can thrive in either sandy or rocky locations, there seems to be conflicting views on the level of waterflow. I've seen everything from low right up to high flow suggested.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Mine loves medium light and medium flow. I have it near the bottom of my tank partially shaded by a rock from my 250w MH. I glued it to a rock down there.

When I had it directly under the MH, it began to turn clear and lose color.

Treat it like you would any other LPS. They prefer med-low water flow. Anything too high will cause tissue recession. They do well in a wide variety of settings but do not like intense lighting either.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the quick responses.. could it also cause problems if the flow was too little?

Thanks for the quick responses.. could it also cause problems if the flow was too little?

It does need some flow. But you don't want a PH pointed at it. Mine gets it flow from water that is bouncing off the front glass from a PH. Very indrect and it seems to enjoy it.

Cool.. I really want to get one. The fluorescence looks amazing from what I've seen in pics.

I have two clusters and mine like med. flow and med. light. they are very easy to care for. A couple hours after lights out, shine a flash light in the tank and you may it's long, clear sweepers expanded and waving in the current. Pretty cool.

How long are the sweepers? And do you ever target feed?

Sweepers are about 2 to 3 inches and clear. I have read they can get up to 6 inches in length. I do not target feed. Only floating mysis and DT's.

i have a huge cluster and they deffinatly need medium-high water movement and they will die if thiers not enogh movement

Heh.. this is why I asked the question.. already someone says medium-low and someone else medium-high :lol:

Kohan Bros. said:
and they will die if thiers not enogh movement
Why do you say that? IME with any type of LPS including the trumpet, they have never done well in high flow. Agreed they do need moderate flow but not high flow.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom