turkey baster dust storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, so i hate when there's sand and stuff on my live rock, i feel like its preventing coraline and other things from getting light and such. so i use my turkey baster probably once a week or more and blast it off the rock, its just sand and what ever else has settled. or whatever else the hermits and tube worms have deposited.

Then i do a water change while the tank is still cloudy. In my head i'm thinking, this is good, it gets the junk off the rock, stirs things up to get rid of uneaten food, and puts particles in the water for all my little filter feeders.

But i just want to be sure this isn't a bad thing. the water only stays cloudy for about 5 or 10 minutes, and cloudy isnt really a good word, i can still see through my tank with out a problem, its just less crisp and clean looking.

Sorry for long post. I'm probably just overthinking it. But i thought I'd ask if this was a problem or if it is in fact an ok thing.

Thanks in advance! I dont know what i would do with out you guys! its so wonderful to just be able to ask every little question that I have and know that the response is well educated and from people who care and have hoards of experience!

IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that, and it is as beneficial as you thought it was. :wink:

Something else you could do is instead of blasting the rock with a baster is to get some 1/2" tubing and syphon the rocks clean of this sand, detrius when doing your water change. This will keep it from getting stired up into the water. After al whats free floating in the water after your water change is complete will just settle back onto the rocks, etc.

i do that too, i always syphon off the rocks for my water changes, but my inhabitants always throw more muck up on them. Its like trying to keep your rug clean with 3 two year olds running around!

Back
Top Bottom