Turn rocks over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if there is any advantage or harm in occasionally flipping some of the LR over, top side down, bottom side up?

I'm planning on doing a little re-scaping and was thinkging of giving the bottom half a turn at the lights.

You will probably lose the coraline that is on top of the rocks if you flip them...it needs light. I would arrange the rock the way I wanted it though...the coraline will grow back. JMHO.

My vote is that is a bad idea. All the life on the rock succeeds or dies based on where it is positioned on the rock with respect to currents, light, food etc. All the stuff that was on the bottom of the rock that needed light to survive is already dead for example.

If you suddenly alter all those parameters by flipping the rock, I think you'll end up with pretty barren, boring rock.

Some life, like coraline, would probably spread and adapt...but most can't spread and adapt to that kind of dramatic change.

OK then, simple re-arrangement without turning them over. There's way too much rock (245#) to turn it all.

The more coral i get, i have to adjust for lighting purposes. The whole base that sits in the sand is never changed, but the smaller pieces are moved to accomadate. With 100# in a 55, you have to move it sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom