Two questions? Purple alage?Activated carbon in reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a purple alage growing on sand in spots and on glass.It does not look like slime . What is it?

Does anyone run activated carbon in there reefs?

Thanks in advance Dewey

sounds like coralline. If it is then its good and you want as much as you can get. It prevents nuisance algae like brown/green from forming all over your tank.

I agree with biotoxin, sounds like coralline to me. That is the algae you want.

As far as the carbon goes, yes, I run it in my tank 24/7. Also use Purigen as well.

What is Purigen

http://www.seachem.com/en_products/product_pages/016_purigen.html

It is a nitrogenous waste removal product. This means that it primarily removes ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I use it only as a supplemental means of nitrate removal since my ammonia and nitrite are at zero anyway (like they should be in any properly setup tank). Nice thing about it is that it can be recharged over and over again.

You recharge it by soaking it in a high-concentrate of salt water... Correct?

Actually, no. Here are the directions from Seachem:

----------------------------

Cover with a 1:1 dilution of household bleach for 24 hours. Soak material in a plastic container in a well ventilated area away from children. Use appropriate caution for bleach. Rinse well, then cover for 8 hours with solution containing 2 tablespoons of Safe™, Prime™, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well.

Wow... the bleach part makes me antsy... but I guess the dechlor will remove the remaining solution after you rinse it well?

Yes, that is correct. Bleach is basically chlorine anyway with a few added chemicals. As long as it is soaked in the dechlorinator and then rinsed well, it should be fine. I would probably soak it in FW for another 24 hours just incase.

It actually might be easier to just buy more of it, I still wouldnt want to take that big of a risk, losing my entire ecosystem over that.

cyno bacteria

Well im starting to think that its cyno bacteria .The artical i just got done reading says the bacteria has air bubbles comeing out of it and this does.

Whats the best way to get rid of it? Lots of water changes?? And how often? the book says every fourth day.

Thanks Dewey

Back
Top Bottom