Two vaguely connected questions about water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blorkiemom

Aquarium Advice Freak
1. I mix my SW in a big ol' rubbermaid container with a powerhead then store it in 6 gallon water jugs. How long should I aerate before adding to the tank, and can I use an airstone instead of a ph? The airstone fits into the jug but the ph doesn't. (And yep, I do check the salinity right before adding. :) )

2. This is, no doubt, a really dumb question and I know I will be dope-slapping myself as soon as I get an answer. But I've often seen people saying they transfer water to their tank/sump using a ph. Okay, I don't get it. How? 'Cause mine just suck water in and spit it out 2 inches away and that wouldn't do much good. Attach tubing to the return? I know I'm missing the obvious!

1. Overnight maybe? I mix a day ahead so I've never experimented with storing it. I would imagine an airstone would be fine to keep the water moving.

2. This one's easy. Place the jug on a nearby table, take careful aim, plug it in and fire away! With a strong PH you can easily get water into a tank 10 feet away. But really, just a piece of tubing attached to the output will take care of it.

Okay, tubing! That's what I was thinking but I wondered if I were missing something really obvious. I guess just making it harder than I needed to! Thanks again, Indy. (You always answer my dumb questions.)

If just using an airstone for the water, be sure you also test the pH of the water before use. Since it should be stored covered, there may not be enough O2 in the water to keep pH where it should be. You might also want to look into a bubble wand and stronger air pump as apposed to an airstone. You'll get much better water rotation and aeration. FWIW, the rubbermaid bin can be used to store the water just as easily providing you have the room and it can be protected from airborne contaminates.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, steve-s. I hadn't thought about the pH. My pH runs lowish anyway so I really do need to watch it. I could easily pop a bubblewand in there. I have to store the water in my carpeted bedroom closet--what a thrill--so I have to use the jugs for space and reducing spills. I envy all the folks who talk about the "fish rooms" they have for mixing and storage!

Back
Top Bottom