Under gravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comandoreef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to start a SW tank with LR but money/space is tight. My LFS(they are very trustworthy) has a 29 gal tank with "all that is needed for a SW tank"
its still 350 dollars(no substrate or critters). I would like do something smaller and cheaper. 10 gal, homemade UGF, power filter, play sand live rock then one little damsel swimming around. Am I asking for more trouble than i can handle. :?

Also what are your thoughts on UGFs in general, I have read so much but nothing to make up my mind on there use.

tiny salt tanks are harder to maintain...less water means water parameters shift more easily.

the general trend is no UGF's...they are outdated, and can become problematic after a year or two when too much detris collects under the plates.

I think a 10gallon is a bit small for active swimmers like most damsels.

bottom line tho, is that saltwater isn't cheap, and it only gets more expensive when you want live rock (which is preferred) and god help you if you go full reef...skimmers and reef lighting are as spendy as quality, cured live rock.

As Malkore says the bigger the better in SW. Sand will not work with a UGF because it will fall through the grate and plug it. And they are the Old School way to do things and the guys I know that have them battle Nitrates all the time. SW is not like FW and it costs $$$ if you want to have a nice tank.

Try to find a used system.
I think it is a great way to start the hobby.

I bought a 55 gallon tank in an oak cabinet with everything I needed (and then some) for 200 dollars.
That included mature water, 4 fish, decorative rock and live rock too.

It's not state of the art (UGF, dated skimmer) but I love it and when I feel I am ready, I will add to it and then eventually buy a much larger tank and do the whole reef thing.

Until then I am loving my new tank, my new fish, and my new hobby.

Back
Top Bottom