undergravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foma2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
so im setting up a 25 gal salt water reef tank. i have a cpr bak pak but im not planing on using the filter part and going with the berlen method. i have a small unergravle filter lying around that would fit nicely covering about halve the tank. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to put it in.

Cause they stink! You could use the bottom part for a plenum though, maybe up on some pieces of pipe with a DSB on top. Then you could hook up a PH to it for a month or so just to get that DSB going, then cap it off and watch the nitrates fall! I tried it and it worked, to my surprise!

Just to clarify - UGF's are on the way out in this hobby. Its safe to say that only die-hard UGF users still bother to use them. Yes they work, but not with sand, which is the preferred SW substrate.
UGF's have to be pulled up every 12 months and cleaned. This isn't a good thing for any tank..to have it's substrate completely disturbed...and probably removed (how else would you put the plate back under the substrate?)

I'm also confused by this, "i have a cpr bak pak but im not planing on using the filter part and going with the berlen method."

what 'filter part'? the cpr bak-pak is just a skimmer. there's no filter in it..just a pump and the skimmer box.

Back
Top Bottom