update on 125g not cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is the beginning of my second day with the added shrimp. I would say the shrimp have been in there 36 hrs. I took an ammonia reading and it might be 0.25. It really isn't a distink green, more on the yellow side. there are no nitrires. I didn't check nitrates. I figuired it was to early.

you are going too fast
leave the shrimp and tank alone for about 25 days
you should see the shrimp just rot away. the bacteria, ammonia will start the cycle and when completed which is about 25 days you may be ready. take readings every 4 or 5 days

glad to see someone a neighbor in houston, too bad bout the Astros!

do you live rock or live sand?

I know that I need to be patient. I have but my lfs told me that I might not have very much of a cycle because alot of the rock came from an established tank. I took a water sample into them yesterday. He said that I didn't have any ammonia but that there was a small amount of nitrite, So I guess at some point I did have a have litte ammonia. He said to let it go 2more weeks and if the nitrites become nitrates then that is all the cycle I am gonna have and that I can slowly stock the tank. He also told me to go ahead and take the shrimp out. After 3days it should have put enough decay in the water to start the cycle.

Yea Its sad about my boys but I am proud of them any way. THey are a class act. Where do you live in houston? What lfs do you use?
Thanx Tinia

LFS sounds like he knows what he is talking about.. That is correct that if you have enough cured LR then there won't be a cycle, or a large cycle. Keep taking things slow and do your research while your waiting....
good luck...

Back
Top Bottom