Update on my cyano problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If you all remember I had a bad blue-green cyano problem a few weeks ago. After a lot of debate and thought I went with my gut and got some GREAT live rock. I added 15 lbs so I now have about 40 lbs in my 46 bow. I plan on adding a little more, maybe in the next couple of weeks if I can find some more of this rock. After about 2 weeks my cyano problem is very much in control...just a little bit here and there. Very managable to say the least. I'm so happy I can start adding more coral now that my problem algae is a thing of the past :)
Here's a pic of my tank taken about a week ago. The green algae that is in the pic is all gone now. What a relief!
img_809876_0_2254b000c954de921a089428ffed6d48.jpg

Looks like a very nice tank. Thanks for the update. Adding a little more will sure help. Adding more LR helped because it provides more surface area for nitrifying bacteria. Looks great.

Love the aquascaping and congrats on getting the algae under control :D

My cyano dissappeared almost overnight when I switched from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals. Well, not overnight, but within a month.

Nice rocks!

Scoot said:
My cyano dissappeared almost overnight when I switched from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals. Well, not overnight, but within a month.

Nice rocks!

I switched from Kent to Reef Crystals and had the same results FWIW

The rocks made the biggest difference, I think. I also started to run purigen about a week before adding the rock. The guy I bought the rock from was telling me about the differences btwn the different kinds of rock and how he beleives carribean rock is the best. I added the carribean and it made such a difference I believe his theory. I had just kalani (sp?) rock in my tank to start with.

Where the LR is collected can affect the amount of nutrients, etc. already in the rock. Obviously tanks have enough issues eliminating/controlling nutrients, so dirty rock to start is the last thing anyone needs. I'm not necessarily saying there was an issue w/ your Kaelini rock though, in fact it looks pretty nice, but the man seems to be making a valid point.

Back
Top Bottom