Upgraded lighte arrive Thursday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I have 260W of PC light over my 72G bowfront. I ordered the Coralife hood with 2 X 150W HQI MH and 2X 96W Actinic PC lights. When I get this new light, is do I need to acclimate the few corals I have to this higher wattage light? I have a candy cane, florida ricordia, red shrooms and a goniapora (sp?).

Also, I am currently losing close to a gallon a day to evaporation. How much can I expect this to increase with the new lighting? I have to do major top offs every other day to keep the salinity constant.

Thanks

tripper

You can expect to loose more water with the higher light intensity. I would do some type of photo acclimation. Just run your MH for a few hours a day and increase the time overy couple of days. Within two weeks you should be able to resume your current schedule. Let me know how you like the hood. I really wanted to get that one for my 72 gal. BF but with the legs it is too wide to fit on the tank. I may need to be hung. Let me know how you do it. Thanks! Lando

Ok, lando, now you have me concerned. I think we have the same tank. What do you mean it's too wide to fit on the tank? Isn't it designed to fit on a 48" tank? I thought I had done all my research and I hope this is not going to be an issue. My tank is located in an area where it is not possible to hang a hood, that's why I purchased this one.

Yes, we have the same tank. Here is the problem...the light is 48 inches long so it will fit length-wise. However, our tanks are only 13 inches in width and this fixture is designed to fit a width of 15 inches so you will not be able to use the legs that come with it. This fixture is actually designed to fit a rectangular 75 or 90 gal, not the odd shaped bow front tanks. There is good news...I heard Coralife is coming out with a cable driven hanging system so you can suspend the light from the ceiling, much like the light over a pool table. I have not seen it and am not sure when it will be out. Until then, you may need to modify the fiture in order to get it over your tank. I almost got this light myself, but didn't because of this problem.

Back
Top Bottom