Upgrading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leedowlrods

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going from a 10g to a 240g reef setup
Ill be needing more LR and hope to use my current LR.
My current LR has coral well attached to it,
What would be my best option with cycling new rock with old rock.
Do I need both systems running and add rock slowly ?

I would add a lot of rock to the 240, then cycle that, then add the contents of the 10 after the cycle is over.
I would buy a couple hundred pounds of dry rock. There are plenty of places online. Add an ammonia source to the 240, and wait till the cycle is complete.

Any reason for the dry rock instead of live rock?

Not sure on the weight but I've already got 4 pieces of live rock

Any reason for the dry rock instead of live rock?

Not sure on the weight but I've already got 4 pieces of live rock
That's enough if you want to "seed" the dry rock. Everything that's living on that rock will eventually spread to the other rock. You are going to need another 200 pounds or so.

It's cheaper and pest free?
Yep.

Following - I upgraded from a 10g to a 55g and that was fun - now I WISH I had a 240 lol hell, i wish I had a 90! Good luck - will be following. and I agree with what was said above.

Oops my mistake,
Upgrading from a 50litre to a 240litre (not gallon)

Haha...Then I would like to change my advice of needing another 200 pounds of rock to about 50 pounds of rock.....

Haha...Then I would like to change my advice of needing another 200 pounds of rock to about 50 pounds of rock.....

Hey it suddenly sounds a lot cheaper.
I'm doing a 340 mile bicycle ride in August then I'm starting the new system. So I've got plenty of time to gather everything I need.
Thanks for the help so far

Back
Top Bottom