Upgrading lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTY1705

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am giong from 1 40 watt bulb n.o. to 4-40 watt n.o. (friend gave four bulb unit so it's free!!!!) :lol:
Will this be ok for some corals???
My tank is 60 gal. 24" deep minus 4 inch sand bed. LFS said it would be ok for some things. Can you make any suggestions on things to add to tank.

Have b&w henni, niger trigger, f.d. lion, and porcy puffer.

Won't have shrimp or snails as triiger has gotten a liking for them recently.
Had 6 snails for about 3-4 months and were doing fine. Two weeks ago watched in horror as daisy the trigger got 4 in 5 minutes!! :evil: :evil:
Ohh well they were cheap.

I would stick with FO. Those fish aren't really reef-safe.

Mushrooms may survive but growth will be slow or non existant. I would skip it until you can afford the right set up. A few dead corals is pretty exspensive.

how much light is required??? I though around 3 watts per gallon was plenty of light??

Also looking at the fish profiles the only one I found not reef safe was the puffer. They say they will eat inverts. Is that shrimp and snails only or does inverts include corals and mushrooms and such???

normal fluorescents just don't pack the intensity of VHO, PC or MH lighting. wattage is just a measure of power consumed...lumens is the output, and NO fluorescents are at the bottom of the bucket in terms of watts to lumens ratio (MH isn't much better, but when you get 1 bulb punching 250watts, you get plenty of lumens).

Like the other experts said tho, your fish aren't reef safe...they'll make dessert out of your corals..and at $30 for a couple of shrooms...that's expensive dessert.

Back
Top Bottom