upgrading tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smnw10

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currenlty have a 55 gallon reef tank that i got second hand a few months ago.
There's about 3 inches of live sand, and 50lbs of live rock with some coral, anenome, yellow tang, crabs, shrimp, 2 clowns, 3 star fish...
I've got the itch to do a larger tank than this. I'm looking at a 125 gallon tank with an adequate cannister filter and lighting. Can I simply move my existing rock, sand, water and creatures into the 125 and top off with water and not kill anything? I'm assuming I'll need more sand and over time get more live rock but making that kind of move will it be too big a shock to their system by having 60% new water, new tank, etc?

The 55 is definitely nice, but I'm interested in something bigger and use the 55 as a fuge.

thanks in advance.

John

Can I simply move my existing rock, sand, water and creatures into the 125 and top off with water and not kill anything?

That`s what I did. I started with a 55 gallon tank and moved to a 125 gallon tank. I did not move the sand. I trashed it and used new sand because that sand carries alot of trash with it and will cause a huge ammonia problem. I did move my LR and about 3/4 of the water over and then I added some new and cured LR and SW to the tank. I agree totally with your plan except IMO dont reuse the sand.

I agree with melosu58 he always has awesome advice. 3 Starfish in a 55gallon I would think they would be starving you may consider algae wafers until you get the 125g. Oh and many Saltwater Aquarist dont use mechanical filters other than for chemical media. I put carbon in my overflow box at times I don't have a mechanical filter at all. just lots of live rock and flow it may be something to consider

It wasn't until I started reading this forum that I heard of people not using mechanical filters. The LFS who I went to for advice before getting a tank had me convinced I needed "everything" which was why I ended up buying second and instead of from them...too expensive!
Even if I only have about 50 lbs of live rock to start with in the 125, I wouldn't need the cannister filter? The three stars are a Brittle Star, Serpant Star, and a sand sifting star? I think...look like a sandy color "normal" star that spends its days on or in the sand. Been feeding algae sheets because of the tang so I'm assuming the stars are taking care of whatever the tang doesn't eat.

Melosu - The tank currently is not drilled but that would be the plan. Somewhere on this site there was a link to a company that sells the kits to drill the back and put in the overflow. I was planning on going that route so I could put in a refugium.

Good. That would give you more water volume and a way to get rid of excessive nutrients. Let us know when you start the transformation and we will help.

Back
Top Bottom