Upgrading to 175g Oceanic--Need sump recommendations???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffw85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tranferring my established 75g reef tank to a 175G Bow Oceanic. Never used a sump system before and plans are to load the chamber with bio-balls--New @ used, Set an asm 450g rated euro-skimmer (model g4) in the sump and run activated carbon in the filter slot. The tank itself will contain over 200 lbs of live rock, (150 of which is being transferred), plus the sediment, probably another 70-100 lbs. I'll have to add new rock and sediment to polish it off but trying to x-fer all the old stuff I can. The fish load will be extremely light during the first few months--less than 10 smaller tangs and such. I'm no expert in reef tanks and new to the overflow setup. My 75g tank used only a refugium and a worthless hang on skimmer. Results were adequate but not where I want to head with my big tank. The fish load will be much heavier and I want to be able to sustain corals very well. Any suggestions or confirmations that I'm on the right path would be greatly welcomed. My first post to this forum.

Jeff W
Evansville, IN

Welcome, you will learn more here than you can possible imagine. Not from me of course, but the rest of the people are great. I would think even in a 175g that a heavy bioload would reduce the health of your corals in the long run. Corals do not take to nitrates the way fish do, so it becomes a real issue. The only other thing I would say is to dump the bio balls they tend to increase nitrates. Good luck and post pics, because that is probably the tank I am buying very soon.

Back
Top Bottom