Upgrading to Metal Halide, Which One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I finally decided to go with a new metal halide system for my 29 gallon reef. Its almost impossible to find anything decent that fits the dimensions of the tank (30 inch) with the wattage that I would like to use, so I guess I'm gonna wind up going with a pendant. Which one do you guys prefer? I found these two, but what about wattages for a 29 gallon? Should I go with the 250 or 400? And for the 400 do I need to buy the ballast as well or can I just go with the pendant? Here are the two I found:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14728&N=2004+113352

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7364&N=2004+113352

Or does anyone know of something better? TIA...........

Thats the thing, I do plan on keeping high lights sps's and a clam. Is 150 the max you think for a 29 gallon, or could I go a little higher. The only reason why I ask because every one knows how bad it is to buy something that you are going to want to update later and spend the extra money on. I want to buy a lighting system that would benefit my tank the most and not have to upgrade again. 150 the max?

You could swing a 250 if you keep the high light corals at top and get some cover for lower light corals. Like build some ledges with your rockwork or something like that.

It's a strong light. And a 150 may be all you need. IMO, it would be fine. Someone else might have a different opinion though. :)

Also, whether I decide to go with the 150 or 250, which Kelvin should I use? I know the higher you go, the bluer it is. Since their is no actinic bulbs I figured go with the 14 or 20k. I know most of it preference, I personally like a bluer tank, but does it make a difference in response to corals?

I have a Coralife MH 150 w/2x65w 420nm actinics over my 29G. I keep montipora, acro and a stubborn BTA in it. After almost a year and a half I am ready to trade the MH system for a nice 4 x 54W T5 system. Its just too much light for the tank. Your right, nothing really fits the tank well either. Certainly buy what you want but between heat and over exposure I think you will find that even a 150w MH with a couple 65w PCs will be a little much for most coral. Softies are very slow to grow and if want to stop growth all together in a colony of polyps, just dump them into your tank. As it stands I am currently only running the 2 x 65w actinics and I got to tell you the color in the montipora and acros are way better. I don' think its so much the color temp as it is the amount of light. I mean at 150 plus 130, thats 280w of light over a fairly shallow tank. At 9.6w/gal your looking at being pretty selective about what your keep. I might also mention that unless you get a pendant/hanging kit its darn near impossible to get a skimmer or anything else to hang from the tank since the light takes up so much space (Assuming you don't have a sump of course...) My advice, T5 with about 150 or less of power or single 14k MH light at 150w. 250w will simply eat anything you put in there..its gonna be hot.
Peace.

Is that all in one fixture? I've been looking for a light with a metal halide lamp and some actinic bulbs, but couldnt find a 30 inch fixture. If it is one unit where did you get it from, cause I couldn't find anything but pendants. By the way will my corals be alright with 150 watt metal halide at 20K. I have : Red Xenias, Flower Pot, bubble, shrooms, frogspawn, open brain, closed brain. A couple of those are high light species which is why im upgrading. The open brain and frogspawn are showing signs of brown which is why im upgrading. Im so confused with metal halide.

When you say signs of Brown what do you mean? I have less WPG then you and have most of the same corals you do and they are going just great.

I use a 150w MH pendant over 1/2 of a 33L prop tank. It is only 12+" tall. The light is about 12" off the water and I have some monti cap and acros at the top of the water level on eggcrate. There is even zoos and xenia on that side of the tank.

The thing with the pendant is that is is pretty focused. You could look at a 175 retro kit if you have a canopy.

I agree don't put more then 150w MH on that tank and if you do I would have that at least 8" to 10" off the surface of the water, unless you would like to boil your tank. A retro kit or to do it DIY is about the only thing you are going to get for a 29g tank. Check out hellolights.com or diyreef.com they usually have a large selection of parts and kits.

When I say signs of brown, I mean that since I've had the frogspawn and open brain they have begun to turn brown where it was once green. The frogspawn I have is a really nice piece, but I have a feeling that my lights are insufficient. The frogspawn is is a green clear mixture that almost looks like the whole coral is clear. I thought that browning meant that the coral was not receiving enough light.

Attachments

• img_0617_213.jpg
    img_0617_213.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 41
  • img_0618_806.jpg
    img_0618_806.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 33
  • img_0619_376.jpg
    img_0619_376.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 33
It varies. Browning can also mean that your tank has too much light. Personally, from what you have in the tank...I wouldn't upgrade to MH. I have the same amount of lighting over my 29 gallon (130 watt PC).

How long are your lights on daily?

The thing is that the frogspawn was under a less wattage pc fixture and the open brain was under met halide. Both have shown significant browing. The open brain is on the sand and the frogspawn is under the maximize amount of light for placement? Which light should I go with. I also would like to kee clams so thats why I want mh. My lights are currently running about 9 hours a day, give or take half an hour.....

I think you should be fine with the 130 watt pc's. From what I can tell is that your brain is becoming unbleached. Mine did the same thing. It turned from an aweome looking neon white to an awsome looking neon green. It looks like yours maybe a red brain. Here are the before and after pics. I think that for what you ahve a pc fixture is just fine. If anything go with the 150 watt pc's. If you want clams then go with a rock dwelling species and keep it up at the top and get the 150's. I think what you have will do just fine for what you have at the moment though.

Back
Top Bottom