Upside down jellyfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carson24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys iv been looking at jellyfish just out of pure curiosity bc I never thought u could have one in a reef tank. But then saw an upside down jellyfish and it said reef safe is this true I would not think it could be but I'm no marine biologist so who know. Does any one have one or experience with them??

I've have no experience with those, but I have always always read them to be NOT reef safe and even have a small amount of a toxic sting, even though I think are pretty peaceful. They are also hard to keep because the salinity level has to remain constant for them which something you usually don't have to stress to much about with fish.

I think an upside jellyfish is the most close you could get to reef safe. If it's something you want to chance you can try it out but any organism they come intact with will get stung but effects of the sting will differ. I'm sure there are people who have kept them successfully in reef tanks and others who have tried and failed lol. Safest bet is to probably just set up a separate tank for one if you really want it, or find someone who has personal experience with one. Also most of our reef tanks have way to much flow in the tank for a upside jellyfish to be happy.

Jellyfish do not do well in reef tanks for a lot of different reasons. IMO they should only be kept in very specialized environments by very experienced aquarists. Regardless of the label used by the shop.

+1 Jellys are not strong swimmers and need a constant upward flow in the tank to make sure they don't end up stuck on the bottom. They are also very delicate and can easily be damaged by a whole variety of things we keep and use in our reef tanks. The intake/output of your filtration has to be carefully designed to keep your jelly fish from just being jelly. They really require their own tank.

Jellies are very cool animals! They're just unfortunately tough to keep correctly. :(

I'm thinkin I'll just make one out of a plastic ziploc and some string and just let it float around my aquarium. Jk

They are reef safe just not fish safe. I use to catch at least one every time I went fishing when I was in Florida. They want harm your reef just your might kill your fish.

Back
Top Bottom