Urchin Infestation...What to do???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I got my Live Rock 4 months ago...I noticed a few very small, black, urchin like creatures...they were smaller than a pea. You could hardly tell the were alive a moving.

That was then....THIS IS NOW:

Now I have 10 HUGE black urchins in my tank. Their bodies are about 3/4 of an inch in diameter, then with spines...they are 1.5-2 inches in size. They strip any and all Coraline algae that I get to grow...they are plowing into corals...and in general becoming a nuisance.

I am not one for "flushing" or otherwise ending the life of any occupants in the tank (except for a 6 inch Bobbit worm...as I had no choice) that are not adversely affecting the occupants of the aquarium. So...does anyone have any idea what I can do with these guys??? Are they a food source that anyone could use them for (hence continuing the circle of life and not just killing)??

Thanks for any advice!

WC

see if anyone you know wants them, maybe you can make a trade, and if not then, like Flsprophet2 said, see what you can get for them at the lfs

I had three that were 3.5" point to point. I took them back to the LFS sold them to them for 2 bucks a piece. They're selling them for 9 bucks a piece.

black long spine urchins

I've got one that is getting huge also and leaving a white trail on my pink coraline algae wherever he goes,

I may end up doing the same, I've been holding off as it is a neat creature but may have to, was hoping my coraline to keep up with him

Bag one up and send it to me! LOL! Oh no! That won't work! Try your local reefer club. I'm sure there will be a local refer who'll take one or two. Beats getting 2$ for it at the LFS, IMO!

Follow the suggestions above and also try and target feed them some nori a couple times a week. I do that with mine and have no coraline problems (I have 4 in my system X 20 months).
One small nori strip will keep them busy all day.
Besides, the coraline they eat will just be pooped out and much of it can reseed.

Back
Top Bottom