URGENT! green star polyps spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
either this is really good or really bad . . . i have a 90 gal reef w/ a 35 gal fuge. i'm kinda worried yet mystified at the same time. do i have to filter all this out or is it good for the aquarium. please respond fast so i can take action if needed, oh yeah its 10:29 pm where i am at right now and i hope to avoid an all nighter. . . not the pleasant kind!
katz

yes i had to post this on another site as well, just trying to get help fast. . . no disrespect.

I have had coral spawn in my tank and did nothing about it and have not had any problems. DT had her GSP spawn and I don't think she did anything about it. How large is the mat?

thank you much for the quick responses. Zig, the mat is probably 15" x 15", but only the central polyps seem to be part of the spectacle. I would guess-timate that about an 1/8 of the polyps are involved. devilish, thanks for the good news, i guess i can just sit back and enjoy?! . . . oh yeah, i'm working on some pix and a small video snip, don't know how either will turn out but i'll do my best.

hopefully this works: sorry, i went picture overboard!

Attachments

• img_7613_1_207.jpg
    img_7613_1_207.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 48
  • img_7627_1_171.jpg
    img_7627_1_171.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 72
  • img_7628_1_296.jpg
    img_7628_1_296.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 54
  • img_7629_1_242.jpg
    img_7629_1_242.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 46
  • img_7632_1_196.jpg
    img_7632_1_196.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 43
  • img_7633_1_176.jpg
    img_7633_1_176.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 41
Very neat! Watch for any signs of stress. It could possibly trigger a mini-cycle and produce some ammonia/nitrite. It depends on how much was released, bio-filter, etc. I'd also recommend doing a PWC tomorrow to bring the nutrients down, and running some GAC would be a good idea as well.

the least i could do . . . btw, doe anyone know if this will happen on a regular basis? will the gametes provide food for any tank inhabitants? and finally the most important question from this humble reefer, does this come with any bragging rights?;)

I'm not sure if it will become a regular occurence or not, ziggy and DT should be able to offer better info. The gametes may become food for some coral or filter feeders in your tank, as well as some fish like chromis, clowns and other planktivores I would guess.
does this come with any bragging rights?
Sure, why not lol. It's never happened in my tank. Cheers!

I think most GSP will try and make the spawning a cyclic event, but I think that means like once a year. So not that often. I could be wrong though. Mine did it a a few months ago and hasn't done it again yet. Maybe Ziggy will pop along and chime in.

Go ahead and brag!

Back
Top Bottom