used vs. new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok- found used 125 gal tank & stand in paper today for $450- talked to them and found out it is 6 yrs old- comes with stand and lights- no hood- said nothing wrong with it but, might want to run a bead of silicone around just as a precaution.

So....first does this sound like a pretty good deal? If so, what questions should I ask? I know it has no hood and lights will require new bulbs- it was previously a fw setup - not drilled.

My plan is for FOWLR setup- any and all input will be appreciated.

First, make sure it holds water.
Was any medication ever used in the tank?
If so, what? Be carefull if copper was used as an Ich treatment in the tank.
I beleive with a thorough cleaning you shoudl be good to go.

Congrats on the find.

i have a 140gal FW thats 25 years old!! Next time it goes down i will be redoing the silicone ( have no idea if it has ever been redone ). Sweet find RTV good luck.

I went to look at this tank today- he previously kept an alligator and some turtles in it! Should I be concerned about this? He said it holds water but, he hasn't had anything in it for about 2 years- said the turtles nipped a little at the silicone and although it does hold water, he suggested running a bead of silicone around the edges.

Just wondering if the previous tank inhabitant should be a concern? He had 2 other fw tanks up and running-both looked to be in good shape.

It is highly unlikely that there is a problem, other than the price. However, don't add silicone to existing silicone, it will not stick properly. Six years is not long for a tank.

Back
Top Bottom