Used Wet/Dry Filter from ProClear Quatics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently aquired a used wet/dry filter with overflow and a 2200 lph pump made by Proclear aquatics from a friend and I am thinking of replacing my Eheim 2215 with it. I plan to use my Eheim for my african cichlids tank in the future. I have several questions about this used wet/dry filter.

1. Should I purchase new bioballs or wash/rinse (I already did) the bioballs that it came with?

2. I don't have any experience with these type of filters, will the pump keep up in returning the water back to the tank from the overflow that is depending on gravity to push water down?

3. I've recently purchased chemipure intended for my eheim 2215, is there anywhere i can put the chemipure in the wet/dry filter?

4. last question, i promise. Does anyone think it is advisable to even use the wet/dry filter over my canister filter. I heard bioballs are great for nitrifying bacteria.

Please advise, TIA

well i have a wet dry from the same company. i took out the ball and replaced them with live rock and put live sand in the bottom. i did this becaue the bioball do more harm them good in the long run. but you can add the chemipure in the sump just make sure it is in a bag and put it in a high flow area of the sump. hope this helps

I have the ProClear 150. I to replaced the bioballs with LR rubble from the LFS. It is just small chuncks left over from shipments and curing. I got it all for free. Bioball do great at converting amonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. they do not do well and getting rid of the nitrates. I have noticed a steady rise in my nitrates since I started using them and just finished switching over to all LR rubble. Other then that, I am very happy with the system.

Ok, thats two live rocks versus bioballs...so you guys just turned the thing into a sump basically? If i replace the bioballs with LR, will just be letting the water trickle over the LR? I mean I can't imagine the live rocks being submerged in the water unless i take out all the partitions... still a little confused but do believe in the sense of the live rocks vs bioballs... I doubt my LFS would give me rubble for free.

Need to find a new LFS is they are not will to give you the crap they are going to throw away. All I did was remove the bioballs, took out the eggcreate they sat on and filled up the compartment with LR rubble. I left the blue sponge in place that seperate the bioball compartment from the retrun pump. Does yours have a buitl in skimmer?

no mine don't have the built in skimmer. ok That sounds like a good idea.. I'll ask another LFS for some rubble instead of buying new bioballs. Thanks a bunch guys

followup question? Would I need additional lighting for the rock that goes inside that compartment? althought i don't know where to put that light because the top of it is fully covered.. hehe.. maybe its a stupid question. But wouldnt the live rock die if they are not lit or fully submerged in water?

No, you do not need any additional lighting. The benifical bacteria that grows on the rock does not need light. I posted a couple pics of my sump in my gallery if you want to have a look. Not sure if they are approved yet, but they should be by later this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom