Using ocean rock as base/decorative rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started a thread searching for base rock in UK and I managed to come across Ocean Rock (the ONLY stuff I can find anywhere, eBay etc..)

I actually have a piece of it, weighs about 6kg and would make some nice base rock broken up.

Here is a pic:

rockq.jpg

It's quite porous although I'm not too fussed about it eventually becoming full live rock, as long as it takes on the colours and front of live rock, it will be fine.

The idea is, if I can use this rock, ideally it would seed like normal base rock will but if not, if it at least has coralline algae growth and such, it will serve its purpose fine.

Just to bulk out my current live rock really.

FWIW I QT any thing im not shure about let it soak in some salt water for at least a week then test the water for every thing that you can if it's gona leach something it's better to find out before you put it in your DT. coralline will grow on most anything

Yeah the rock is safe afaik, it's been in various freshwater tanks for a while.

I got it from a LFS so it's not something I just found or picked out etc..

Right, I'm gonna go ahead and break this rock up and use it now, unless anyone has any thoughts on why not to?

Only concern is was the FW tank ever treated with any sort of copper type med. i'd use it if it were me but only after testing some water that the rock had soaked in.
I maintain a dozen lease tanks and always worry about nuking a tank full of fish and coral :lol:

It wasn't, I bought this rock dry, new from my LFS, I've never used any meds with it being in my freshwater tanks,

Its broken into 5 good pieces now, scrubbed clean, again.

Might boil it for a while just for the sake of it aswell.

Cant hurt, i baked some one time stunk up the whole house :lol: Man was the wife unhappy :hide: after that stunt is just soak it now

Don't worry about it my first SW aquarium had ocean rock as base rock and it didn't effect the water at all. So go for it pal. Just don't rush your tank iv been cycling mine for a few months not saying that u shuld but patients is the key.iv just added my first set of fish in it. Good luck. T

Pics

Attachments

• image-2378148668.jpg
    image-2378148668.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 148
Back
Top Bottom