UV and Probiotic Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swordstool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Maybe this is a noob question, but is it pointless to add some kind of probiotic bacteria (e.g. Tropical Marine Max) if I'm running UV, i.e., will the UV just end up killing/damaging the probiotic bacteria along with the 'bad' bacteria? Don't know if it matters, but I'm running a 125g FOWLR with a Coralife Turbo Twist 6X UV Sterilizer.

swordstool said:
Maybe this is a noob question, but is it pointless to add some kind of probiotic bacteria (e.g. Tropical Marine Max) if I'm running UV, i.e., will the UV just end up killing/damaging the probiotic bacteria along with the 'bad' bacteria? Don't know if it matters, but I'm running a 125g FOWLR with a Coralife Turbo Twist 6X UV Sterilizer.

Uv will kill anything that passes thru in the water column provided it goes thru at appropriate rate

So there's probably no point in doing both, and I'd assume running UV would be better?

swordstool said:
So there's probably no point in doing both, and I'd assume running UV would be better?

I like the uv it kills algae spores and deseases parasites and such it doesnt harm beneficial bacteria because bb lives on the rock not in the water column i

Back
Top Bottom