UV sterilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would a small uv sterilizer benefit a 26 gallon tank or is it too small? im a little in the dark about sterilizers so sorry if its a stupid question! I found a kit that treats up to 125gallon tank for around 75.00 so i was wondering if it would be a wise investment. As always any help is appreciated

ok now ive found a little more on it here and thought if i get it i would put it on the incoming line to the fug so it doesnt kill good stuff. does this sound right or is it overkill???? thanks guys

This depends. If you look on the box or in the instructions, there should be somewhere that it tells you what the recommended rate of flow through the sterilizer is. Mine, for example, is a 9 watt sterilizer with 200-400 gph recommended flow. You want to aim for the bottom of this range, or even under it. Otherwise, you'll be installing a tanning parlor for parasites rather than a death camp.

For example, on my 200-400 gph sterilizer, I have a 150 gph pump. This is because UV sterilizers are the absolute worst things about claiming they're sufficient for a bigger tank and more flow than they are actually sufficient for. It's a good thing your sterilizer is good for a 125 gal. :)

Back
Top Bottom