UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bclili12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just in the processes of switching over our reef tank from a 50 gal to a beautiful 175 gal. Bought the 175g second hand and got a few extras with it, like a UV sterilizer. Never used one before and wondering what the pros/cons are if used on a reef system.

Im gonna Subscribe to this because I'm hearing two different opinions on the UV sterilizers

SWSCJ said:
I keep one on my 450. Tank is disease free. You'll get mixed reviews I'm sure.

Yeah, I've been hearing mixed reviews also. Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you noticed any negative effects of using the UV?

I've had one on my 75 and now 180. Disease free since and had a little bit oh ich on my blue hippo. Never been back. It will kill any pods that go through the uv. And to be effective it must be matched with a low flow pump. The more dwell time in the uv the more it kills.

Ive got an Aqua 120W on my 450, rated for 900 gal tank and 6500 GPH max flow. It allows me to run my return pump (3500 GPH) wide open to 3 returns. I run a 9.5 mag from the sump thru the chiller to the 4th return. I think it makes a difference with algae and disease. $165 bulb (3x55) replacement each year for me.

Reefnoob84 said:
I've had one on my 75 and now 180. Disease free since and had a little bit oh ich on my blue hippo. Never been back. It will kill any pods that go through the uv. And to be effective it must be matched with a low flow pump. The more dwell time in the uv the more it kills.

+1 low flow is a must.

Everyone has an opinion on uv sterilized and the benefits or waste. Uv has no motive- it will kill everything going through it- but only free flowing Bacteria or parasites are affected. I use one and have not had an Ich breakout in a while. Just remember this is not a cure and only a preventative measure.

UV sterilizers will kill any phytoplankton, zooplankton, parasites, and bacteria that pass through them, resulting in clean, clear, sterile water. The key phrase here is "that pass through them". Unless your pump is way overpowered, there is no guarantee that all, let's say... marine ich in the swimming stage... will ever pass through it. So, while it may reduce numbers of parasites, it will not kill them all. Period. Still, every little bit helps, right? This is what people like about them. Helps reduce the risk of disease outbreaks.
Now the other side. Also kills free floating micro algae, or phytoplankton, which is the first step in the food chain that leads up to zooplankton (will also kill them) such as the pods that our fish love so much, and some fish even require.
So, will it help prevent ich? To an extent, yes.
Keep the water clearer? Yup!
Kill all the beneficial pelagic organisms and phyto? You betcha! So, it's a tradeoff. personally, it's not worth it to me to deprive my pods of food just to make me feel better about the risk of ich outbreaks.

Back
Top Bottom