UV Sterilizer and initial acclimation of tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoeplein

Aquarium Advice Addict
How and should I even be running my UV Sterilizer the initial two weeks of acclimation? When the tank is established, should it be running 24/7 or on the same timing as lighting? My tank is the 75g listed below, and I have an 8w sterilizing unit that was donated from a 1000gallon koi pond.

Thanks.

...to slightly answer my question...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=39525&highlight=uv+sterilizer

It still says nothing on a new tank... and apparently running one 24/7 has no affect on a reef tank. I'm just curious if it will delay the acclimation of my tank at all? Or what peak benefit-to-time is. Such as affect by sterilization peaks out at 8 hours a day, thus effectively quadrupling the bulbs life....

One thing to factor in is how long it will take to effectivly filter all your water. We have two great articles about UV units in our articles area. The effectivness of the 8W unit will be partially calculated by the speed of the water flowing thru it as well as the bulbs age.

As far as running it when you first setup the tank there is no need until the fish have been introduced. Once fish are introduced then you should run it on a regular schedule if your going to use one at all.

As per my signature, the 75gallon is mine and already has 5 damsels and a goby.

So far so good.. I'm just waiting for my liverock to start showing some life. :p (they're a dull green/rock color still).

Back
Top Bottom