uv sterilizers in a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have posted my opinion before some agree some disagree.
I run mine all the time.It definitely helps keep the water clearer,and I think that it does prevent ick or at least retard it.Thankfully in my six years with reef aquariums I have never had a problem with ick knock on wood,lol.

We are running one right now since we just got an achilles tang not long ago and they are prone to ick

pros
-keeps ick down
-keeps algae growth down

Cons
-some corals don't seem to open up as nicely

Thats all i have found from using it haha the corals still open up a lot but just seem to be a little extra puffy when the uv is off. Some people run the uv only at night since that is when the ich tries to find its host and is water bound.

Some people swear by them some say you don't need them one of the most debated items ever in reef keeping lol

I have one that I keep in my fresh water tank. When I saw that one of my clowns in my reef tank had developed ick I tossed the sterilizer it in there and within a week it was gone. I don't run it constantly in my reef so I can't vouch for long term but they are VERY effective at destroying free floating algae and ick.

I highly recommend atleast having one on hand for when its needed. Especially since most other ick treatments would wipe out most of a reef population. Just my 2 cents.

kms907 said:
We are running one right now since we just got an achilles tang not long ago and they are prone to ick

pros
-keeps ick down
-keeps algae growth down

Cons
-some corals don't seem to open up as nicely
+1 and the fact that it will kill any copods,amphipods,ect That pass thru that light.... But I do run mine for 2hrs every Saturday morning to polish the water.

Back
Top Bottom