Vacation and tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winter-huntsman

Aquarium Advice Freak
So just got back from a trip to key west and had to do a massive tank cleaning. Every time me and my family go on vacation algae takes over my tank. I had a person come over and feed the fish plus add water so the filter would work.
What I was wondering was how you guys keep your tanks clean when you are not around to do constant maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so what is a fine feeding regime anyways? I feed a little every two days. I wonder if that is what cause my algae problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Vacation and a feeding schedule aren't the same thing. If I leave for a week, I feed before I go. I'll feed when I get back.
The time between your normal feedings is fine. The amount and water source can lead you down that road. This is why I don't want anyone but myself to feed the tank. A pinch of something is different for me than it would be for you, or anyone watching your tank.

the best thing to do is teach the person who will be caring for your fish proper feeding portions , what you can do is add what you feed to your fish into baggies marked for each feeding . so they cant over feed everything would be regulated ,

there is no reason why your tank should accumulate algae in a week , if your care taker follows your guidelines correctly. explain your lighting regimen not to leave lights on 24/7.

so you don't need anyone while your gone my suggestion on this would be put lights on a timer so you know how long your lights are on . as for evaporation you need to invest in auto feed water tank that fills your tank as needed. one of the best investments I ever made.

hank said this best feed when you leave and when you get back , As long as you have a well established tank your fish will find many types of natural foods like pods and other critters algae in the rocks even snails and hermits even small worms , fish will use instinct to find food like they do in the wild . so no real need to stress out for a week .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom