vacation disater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, when i got home this morning from my week hawaiian cruiz my cleaner shrimp was on the surface and my green chromie dead, my maroon clownfish alive, but barley i assume, and my capret anenome was shrunk to about the size of a silver dollar. Some alien-like algea on the sand that look like submarine bombs they are green.(like the ones in finding nemo near the submarine), and my leather coral bent over but appears to look much bigger.

My grandpa was supposed to take care of it for the week, nothing HARD to do, turn on lights and feed fish and then turn off lights, but i guess its to hard for him. (hes not that old 60-70 years old i guess)

I checked my nitrates and ammonia, everything seemed fine, but im still tryin to look for my ph packets, lol.

I got a couple questions.

1- What type of algea are the ones i described and how do i get rid of it.

2- my chromie died in the same place as my clown tang (which died 2 weeks ago kinda weird)

Sorry for your loss. First things first, do a 20-30% PWC with aged SW.
What type of algea are the ones i described and how do i get rid of it.
Hard to say without a picture. My guess is that it came from a combination of over feeding and the light being left on for a few days in a row. This is common with tank foster parents. They figure they will just dump in a bunch of food and leave the light on so they do not have to check on it every day. Temp could have also risen during this time contributing to the problems.
my chromie died in the same place as my clown tang (which died 2 weeks ago kinda weird)
Most likely died someplace else and the current pushed the fish to that one spot.

For now, do your PWC, start running some fresh GAC and test for PO4 and NO3.

Back
Top Bottom