Venturi Protien Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an in-sump venturi protien skimmer.

If I adjust the air up just a tiny tiny bit, the bubbles overflow like crazy. After about an hour, I have removed a pint of clear water into the coke bottle I use to catch the overflow from the cup.

If I turn it back down a tiny tiny bit, I don't get any bubbles in the cup at all.

Anyone else have these periods where your protien skimmer doesn't really produce anything??

Thanks,
Todd

Anytime there is something that changes the "texture" of the water (food, oil from your hand, etc...) your skimmer will stop production for a short period. From what it sounds like though, you may want to invest in a more sensitive adjustment for your venturi, something that accepts more minute adjustments.

That makes sense. I first started to notice a difference (skimmer running like crazy) after I added the Maracyn to the tank. The water seemed to get 'slimy' and the bubbles would't pop and just ran amock!

Thanks,
Todd

That explains quite a bit. The maracyn (e-mycin) will make the skimmer go nuts, until it is all removed. I would also clean the skimmer to remove any of the med that may have coated the skimmer. It may be a week or two before you can run the skimmer after adding this particular medication.

In this week or two, will not removing protiens add to brown algae? could this be the reason I have been seeing so much brown algae lately?

Todd-the-question-freak

Back
Top Bottom