victor.m's and angeloupous59's 29g reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victor.m

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today my roommate (angelopoulos59) and I have officially decided to start our joint reef aquarium :D. Here are the specs:

- 29g Aqueon All-Glass Aquarium (30"x12"x18")
- Coralife 130w CF Fixture (2x65w 50/50 with Highly Polished Reflector)
- AquaClear 70 HOB Filter (300gph)
- Koralia 3 Powerhead (850gph)
- Marineland 200w Heater
- 20lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive LS
- 18.6lbs Premium Fiji LR (more later)

And that is it! We set it up today, have mixed the salt, added the rock, and are beginning the cycle with two fresh shrimps :) I will be testing the water at my LFS for now since they are really nearby and provide the tests for free!

Finally, here are some pictures! Can't wait to get things really started :)

1001846ns4.jpg

1001848zu5.jpg

1001849zs9.jpg

1001850qo5.jpg

And it begins! Will keep the thread updated with happenings and new pictures as it progresses, thank you so much for reading :)

proably gonna wanna add a lot more LR i dont think thats enough for that sized tank...... but what are you planning on nadding to it?

proably gonna wanna add a lot more LR i dont think thats enough for that sized tank...... but what are you planning on nadding to it?
The plan is indeed to add more LR in the future, probably go up to 25lbs of LR and go with base rock from there when the tank is established.

As for stocking, we'll be looking at softies such as hammers, star polyps, and zoas to begin with. I will be doing more research on other types of corals and fish before we go anywhere with that, but any suggestions/ideas would be great!

as for fish go i really like flame angel fish there really neat. as for Corals well in my tank i like the yellow colony polysp. i also have been looking into the Green Star Polyps i still have to do a lil more research though

as for fish go i really like flame angel fish there really neat. as for Corals well in my tank i like the yellow colony polysp. i also have been looking into the Green Star Polyps i still have to do a lil more research though
Green Star Polyps are beautiful, I have some in my 14g BioCube and must say they are quite a sight :) Here are some pictures of mine:

img0773vc9.jpg

They like plenty of flow so they sit under my nozzle, they have been doing quite well and in 4 days have already started to spread. They look beautiful, the pictures doesn't do its color justice!

I was actually looking at the flame angel, but I'd be concerned about his temperament towards the corals and other fish. Going to read up on the little guy, but thank you for the suggestion.

wow that coral is nice. how much did it cost? and as far as i know my bro has a flame angel and seems to do fine with its coral and other fish.... did the clown host the green polysp?

Looks good. You also have some sweet surface ripple!
Two pieces of advice:
Get a refractometer and a QT.

wow that coral is nice. how much did it cost? and as far as i know my bro has a flame angel and seems to do fine with its coral and other fish.... did the clown host the green polysp?
The coral was $28 at my LFS, usually $35 but I'm good friends with the guys at the LFS and usually get discounts.

I will look into the flame angel for sure! What size tank does he have them in? What are his co-inhabitants?

The clown has shown no interest, so far, of hosting anything. I've been keeping an eye on him, he swims by the hammer and s. polyps quite often but no hosting yet. Will let you know if he does host, though.

sweet i think ill get one of those. and my bro has a 55 gallon with a lot of other fish which may be why its not agressive. and roka out of curiosity whats a refractometer

Looks good. You also have some sweet surface ripple!
Two pieces of advice:
Get a refractometer and a QT.
Working on the refractometer sometimes in the near future. The QT I already have in order, I have a 10g tank that will sit under the main display and will act as a QT.

sweet i think ill get one of those. and my bro has a 55 gallon with a lot of other fish which may be why its not agressive. and roka out of curiosity whats a refractometer
Refractometer is a highly accurate device for measuring specific gravity which does not depend on water temperature to read accurately, unlike swing-arm hydrometers, which can give inaccurate readings due to being weight-calibrated with water at certain temperatures.

i would advise against a flame angel, your tank is too small and they like to munch corals... mine didn't for 6mo then got hungry.

Thanks for the advice, I had figured it'd be a bad idea, but they sure are gorgeous!

First parameters are in today, they are as follows:

Nitrites: 0.2ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0.8ppm
pH: 7.8
SG: 1.024
Temp: 79 F

Looks to be on its way :)

nice im excited for you! keep this thread going and make sure to post pics as you go!!!!!!

Shall do!

New readings today:

Nitrites: 2ppm
Nitrates: < 10ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Temp: 79F

As for pictures. not much of anything exciting, but here are a couple of pictures of the tank with the background and my awesome cable management to make cables nearly undetectable under the metal stand:

img0783hy3.jpg

img0784fy7.jpg

Will keep it updated as I go :)

Update!

Nitrites: 0.2ppm
Nitrates: 10ppm
Ammonia: 0.0ppm
Temp: 79

My test kit only has colors for nitrites starting at 0.2, should I assume that when it doesn't color at all it is at 0ppm? I am using the Instant Ocean "OceanMaster" test kit
icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys!

Hey guys!

It's been a while now, but ever since I last posted my cycle has finished entirely, and the tank has been inhabited. Current inhabitants include a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, and a Tomato Clown. Also in there are small frags of green Zoas, GSP, bright green zoo polyps, and a green brain! As for the CUC, it currently has a small skunk scarlet shrimp, a blood shrimp, a few astreas (8), a couple of turbo snails, and some blue-legged hermits (7).

Parameters are doing fine so far and I am measuring/dosing calcium; Nitrates are at < 10ppm, Nitrites and Ammonia are both at 0, temperature is at a stable 79 F, and SG at 1.024.

Overall the inhabitants see, very happy, the flame angel and Clown are getting along terrifically an often hang out around each other.

dsc0243se3.jpg

dsc0244eg9.jpg

dsc0246ms9.jpg

dsc0248hn5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom