Vion bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, some of you know I am replacing my bulbs in my pendant and was looking to upgrade my bulb from 6500K to 10000K. After speaking with several people and looking at pics on the hellolights.com website, I decided to try the Vion 175W 10K MH bulb. Well, I will reserve judgement for now, I have a few pics I'll post and let you see. I am hoping someone will tell me that a new MH bulb needs to break in and will become more white. Here are the pics...

Vion 175W 10K with 2 X 28W PC True actinics
wholetank3.jpg

Venture 175W 6500K with 2 X 28W PC 7100K blue
wholetank1.jpg

I really don't like the color. Yellow + Blue makes green, is what keeps going through my head...LOL But, within 10min of turning on the new lights (yes, I'm acclimating them to the new light) my blue tipped acro, is showing greater polyp extension than ever.
btacro3.jpg

So give me some opinions people.

The way I understand spectrum is the lower kelvin bulbs peak closer to red than higher kelvin bulbs. You are missing some of the blue spectrum. The light is not yellow, it appears that way because it is missing some blue. Actually anything over 5000K is considered "cool white" or largely blue in spectrum. With actinic supplementation you are replacing some blue spectrum. Perhaps the Vions are quite a bit lower color temp than they advertise. I have to admit I have not seen them. I was relating anecdotal information about their appearance until maiceman showed up. My suggestion would be to add more actinic wither in pc or NO. Not sure how long your tank is but I really like my 5500K with 2 NO (4') actinic but maybe I don't know what I am missing. It sounds encouraging that your acro likes it.

Mark

Hi reefrunner69,

May I start by saying WOW ! That is one gorgeous tank.

I understand what you mean, with the 10000K bulb it does have a slight greenish tinge to it. Personally, I love the colors you get with the 6500K bulb but that being said... IMHO, I think you should do whatever makes your tank inhabitants the happiest.

Just a thought.

OK here are the bulbs individually...

Vion 10K MH only.
wholetankMH.jpg

PC tue actinics...I've been using the 7100Ks and these seem a little more purple than I remember.
wholetank03.jpg

Does anyone think the bulbs will shift in spectrum over the course of a few weeks?

Maiceman, how do these compare to yours?

Kevin,

This is just what I have seen on my actinics. My PC actinics will come on very purple in color. But after say an hour of being on they are a much lighter blue color.

Does your actinics shift color after being on for a few hours?

That MH only pic sure does seem YELLOW to me.

BTW I think that is the first FULL tank shot I have seen in quite a while. I WANT your tank!!!!

:)

I think the venture 6500k is much better looking. Im not sure what my MH bulbs are. I forgot to ask the guy when I bought the 100 gallon reef setup. From what I'm hearing though, when I get new bulbs I guess I'll get 6500k. I thought 6500 was suppose to be more yellow than 10000 k. From your pics it dont appear that way. I wonder if they accidentally sent you the wrong bulbs.

BTW, what fish do you have in that reef tank?

This can be so difficult at times due to the fact that everyones eye see's color slightly differently. I will post some pics tonight of mine and maybe we can let the digital computer age help with the comparison. My initial opinion is that mine are not as yellow as yours but again, I think that has allot to do with how our minds process the info our eyes are sending it. Another contributing factor would be what is the light reflecting off of. Initially my lights were so bright white I needed sun glasses to look at the tank. Once I developed a green algae layer on the sand the light seemed much more yellow. I should also mention that I painted the inside of my hood with a high gloss bright white paint. With this and the 12" X 36" spectral aluminum reflectors I have very little light being absorbed in other directions.

I spoke to Brian at hellolights.com, he told me that the bulbs color may be effected by something I might be able to change, as well as needing to "burn in". He told me after 100 hours the bulb should go more white. If after a week, I'm still not happy, he'll send me a returnshipping label and I'll send it back and get the Ushio.

OK, here is a pic of my tank with 2 Vion 175w with spectral aluminum reflectors. Also 2 NO 48" 40w Coralife true actinics. Keep in mind my tank is only 45 days old.

Here are some pics with actinc only and then Vion only. The first thing that jumps out at me is the difference between our actinics. Mine seem more blue and yours look violet to me.

Well, your using NO coralife bulbs, while I'm using brand new PC "True Actinics", they are more purple than any other true actinic I've seen, but they are a far cry better than the other "blue" choice in PC. The pic shown of my pc's was shortly after they were turned on, they do tone down a bit after they have warmed up a bit.

I am going to link your pic of the vion only and the vion + actinic, into my post with the pics, this will let me compare them a little better. I will delete the link back tomorrow. The comparison, probably won't be as true as I'd like, cause you appear to have used the flash on at least one of your pics, whick may have washed out some of the color.

AAHHH I loaded the wrong picture. You are right that one had a flash and it took me a little bit to figure that camera out and get it turned off. I have some without flash and will up-load one tonight.

Update

OK, it has been a week, not quite 100 hours, but as I look at the pics I posted, the tank actually looks more green to me. I called Hellolights and they are going to send me a Ushio 10K, and just charge me the difference. They are going to pay the shipping (UPS Ground) for the Ushio and the return shipping for the vion. They did not require me to pay for the Ushio before sending it out, just the difference, this was not what I expected. I expected to have to pay for the Ushio, then get a credit once the vion was recieved. The Ushio costs an additional $19.00, I found it cheaper elsewhere, but after shipping chages were figured into the other bulb, it would have been $1.00 more :roll:

So although I was unhappy with the vion bulb, I am pleased with the customer service and willingness to make me happy shown by hellolights.com and would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks for the follow up on this thread, Kevin. Obvoiusly there some quality control issues for Vion to work out but it is encouraging to hear of excellent customer service in this day and age.

Mark

I appreciate the trouble you went through reefrunner. Its nice to have a group of people that can tell you mistakes before you make them. I was going to buy vions from hellolights when I need to make the replacement. Now I will just go for the Ushios. :D

Back
Top Bottom