Vitamins, fish food, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mutz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I can't find any stores in my area that sell Selcon. I can buy it online but it will take a few days to arrive and I'd like to get it sooner. Anyone know of any chains that would sell it (other than Petco)??

Are there other vitamins that are more readily available that are good to help with nutrition? VitaChem?? Marine Success Vita? As much as I hate Petco and PetSmart, they are both near my house and if there were vitamins that they would carry that would be helpful going there is easy.

I also went to the fish counter at the grocery store and asked if they had Nori and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. There aren't any Oriental type grocery stores in my area so I'm not sure where to go.

Most use either Selcon or Zoe (Kent). Look for Nori in the oriental section, not the seafood counter, although they don't have it at my grocery store either. Aaron (fishfreek) gets it online pretty cheap from a health food place, you might try GNC if you have one, or PM him for the name of the site he gets his from.

I don't like Selcon - I find it to be much too oily for my preferences.

LOL, I just read this tonight on your mush recipe page (was giving your secret recipe away ;) ), but, I though the main idea behind the selcon and zoecon, was that it was oily. They are a source of HUFA, which is seriously lacking in our fishes diet, but is necessary??

LOL, Kevin - no secret, and probably not even really my recipe. Just a tried and true 'culmination' of a zillion different recipes I've read/tried.

I wasn't trying to 'dis' Selcon, it's definitely a reputable product. I know it is supposed to contain necessary Omega-3 fatty acids - I just don't like how it clouds the tank ( and makes my skimmer go wacky!). ;-) Just a personal thing.

I've never used Selcon (or Zoecon, for that matter), and my fish are definitely no worse for the wear. I really don't know enough about the HUFA necessity to present a valid argument, however. I do know they are part of a recommended diet when trying to breed fish.

JMO!

Thanks for the info guys/gals. I picked up some Zoe tonight so we'll see how it goes. My hunt for a local source of Nori continues...if I don't find anything by the weekend I guess I'll just buy online.

when looking in the grocery store make sure that it is uncooked -helpful hubby picked some up and in very small type on back says roasted very easy to overlook so read it well.

The store I, and I think Fishfreek, gets our Nori from, is called Raw Health. It is on the net. It is very inexpensive, including shipping.

Back
Top Bottom