Vodka dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would start at 1mls for 3 days, then up it to 5mls for 4 days, then add 5mls every 5 days after that until you see the Nitrates start to come down. You'll need to test weekly, once you see them just start to come down, then that dose will be your maintenance dose until you get the number you want to hold in the tank. Then cut the dose in half.
Once you reach double digit dosing (10mls+) you'll want to split that dose up, dose half in the am and half in the pm, preferably 12 hours apart.

Awesome thanks. I'll get my hands on some vodka soon and start this thing up!

Caleb

So is Vodka the best method? Is it better than biopellets? Has someone tried multiple types and can recommend? I'd like to just start with the best method of nitrate removal. I even have an extra reactor so I'm open to anything.

Who has had really good results with nitrate removal methods? Lets hear your story!

Each has its ups and downs. Some have issues with cyano appearing when they run biopellets, for example.
I'm currently dosing Red Sea NoPox, which is just the same as dosing vinegar or vodka. I like the stuff but will be switching over to vodka. 3 dollars is better than 30.

Here's a question..

If I start doing this in place of water changes I will have to dose supplements to make up for it right?

If so, what should I dose? What brands are recommended by you guys for dosing?

Depends on your tanks demand. I have a lot of SPS that diminish my elements real fast. I dose Calcium, Alk, mag all from bulk that I mix myself. Calcium Chloride, Sodium Bi Carbonate and 2 typs of Magnesium. Then for trace I use RedSea's coral colors program. It has like 27 trace elements or something like that. I add 2 mls a week of each bottle (4 bottles in the set). I find the bulk chemicals the cheapest and I figured out how much to mix and how to set my dosing pumps to get a nice stable environment.

Carbon dosing can cause bacterial blooms if overdone. It's those blooms that can (but rarely) cause a O2 crash. In my case, it also grew bacteria like cyano. The skimmer is to keep down the water born population of bacteria. That's why some vote to use white vinegar as the acetate in it doesn't seem to grow cyano as bad, but it takes quite a bit more to get the same amount of carbon.

Vodka is serious old school, because it does work. But IMO there are more natural and maybe safer ways to export nutrients efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom