Volitan Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turboTSI

Aquarium Advice Activist
well I took the dive and got a Volitan... below is what I read abotu these guys and their stings.. is this the method I should use??

You know they are poisonous and it is strong enough to land you in the emergency room if you are allergic. Even kill you. It's kind of like bee stings, some people are allergic, some aren't. You susceptibility to bee venom has no bearing on your susceptibility to lionfish venom, so beware. THe symptoms are just like bee stings tho. If you get stung, get it under hot water. Put baking soda mixed with water into a paste on the wound. If you start to feel dizzy, or notice bad swelling, or trouble breathing/ getting enough air better get a ride to the hospital. Your throat is closing off and you could die

anywho any other info would be FANTASTIC

Dave

That's about it. Supposed to flush the sting in water as hot as you can stand and if you start having any reaction to the venom, get to the ER. The sting is supposed to be very painful to so, just use caution and know where he is in the tank at all times while maintaining. Or have a second pair of eyes with you while working in the tank. Great fish with lots of personality. Good luck with your new lion.

Just wanted to add something here. This is a paragraph taken from the conscientious Marine Aquarist book by Robert Fenner.
Though not as toxic as their stonefish cousins, lion stings must be taken seriously. Swelling, soreness, localized pain, respiratory and cardiac distress, and other collateral shock manifestations go with these events. Ringing your local poison control center and submersing the site with water as hot as you can tolerate are immediate emergency actions to take. Most sting victims recover quickly without treatment but have to suffer hours of pain that typically leave a lifelong impression and respect for natural venoms. :D

thx alot.. btw I have heard they are not an "attacking" kinda fish as in chasing your hand out of the tank.. is this true

Dave

Yeah, it's more likely you will accidently bump the fish while working in the tank. They aren't aggressive.

Exactly. They are great. The only thing with them is, you won't be able to keep many inverts. They will eat any shrimp or crab you put in the tank. I have a dwarf and so far he doesn't bother hermits or snails.

what about urchins (like a pencil) will they be fine with the lion and a snowflake eel?

or a sea cucumber or star fish

Dave

I think the urchins and stars should be ok. My dwarf has never bothered mine anyway. The cucumber I don't know about. I've never had one.

Back
Top Bottom