VorTech MP10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. D

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been thinking about adding an MP 10 to my 75gl tank... I currently have 2 koralia1050's and about 6-7Xs gph after head loss from my return so in all around 32-34 x's my display.

My questions are:
Are they worth it?
Are they SILENT?
Is it really beneficial for my fish and corals?
And are the features "cool" or even useful without 2 and/or Radions?

I've been thinking about adding an MP 10 to my 75gl tank... I currently have 2 koralia1050's and about 6-7Xs gph after head loss from my return so in all around 32-34 x's my display.

My questions are:
Are they worth it?
Are they SILENT?
Is it really beneficial for my fish and corals?
And are the features "cool" or even useful without 2 and/or Radions?

Honestly with a 75g you would get a better bang for the buck with the mp40. Are the worth it? In my opinion yes.

Radions just add a little extra special feature, not having a radion in no way detracts from the performance and feature of this pump. Each setting has its usefullness. Vortecs do not operate and move water like other powerheads, they create a very strong undertow effect that moves all the water instead of a narrow cone effect. Also vortecs offer reduced heat with the external motor.

Again i think for your tank you would be much happier and notice a bigger difference with the mp 40 also if you ever upgrade the mp40 will still be a mainstay pump. For comparison i have an mp10 that i have pretty much maxed out on my 29g (30") reef tank.

Oh also the higher they are ramped up the more vibration (noise will occur) so the mp40 will also give you less noise running at a lower setting in a 75g. But even at max speed if lined up properly they are not what i would call loud. Also most setting gradually from slow speed to max or your max setting so it never on top speed for long.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the MP40 would do better also my whole thing is this would be a gift... Maybe I could pay the difference. I also plan to upgrade to a 195 or 210 some time (realistically) in the next 1-2years for my fish.

Does EcoTech have a warranty or guarantee? I've herd the customer service is good but just curious b/c for that price I would need the best service to back their product up

An MP10 is not silent. To be very useful on a 75 you'd be at a high power (high noise) setting. It's not terrible and is subjective but I find it noticeable. It's not enough to bother me but it's there.

If you're looking at a larger tank, I would definitely invest in a MP40. It'll suit your 75 better, run quieter and save you money in the long run.

Ecotech runs a 1 year warranty which is pretty good.

I agree for the 75g your probably gonna be happier with the 40, I have the 10 on my BC29 and love it. I don't notice any noise from the power head (unless I'm smack right up against the tank)

I should note though, I'm running a single MP10 on a 55 with just the return pump. It's at 100% in Short Pulse and provides about a 1/2-3/4" standing wave. It adequately moves the entire water body and it would likely move water adequately in a 75. Looking at long term, I would still get the 40 & not have to replace it for the upgrade.

This is true and I agree, I think I will invest in one eventually if I cannot get one this Christmas and have not herd any real complaints.

Another question is,
What is the pumps expected life if maintained properly?

This is true and I agree, I think I will invest in one eventually if I cannot get one this Christmas and have not herd any real complaints.

Another question is,
What is the pumps expected life if maintained properly?

Years and years. Well maintained vortechs failing is rarely heard of. And if they do, ecotech will do all they can to make you happy. Wet sides are purchasable separate for a decent price if it would need replaced down the road for some reason out of warranty.

Okay... Well let's start the pain of saving for something so good it hurts, my pocket, lol

Okay... Well let's start the pain of saving for something so good it hurts, my pocket, lol

I think you'll be glad you did, pricey but once you open the box you begin to understand why more and more. Quality.

Back
Top Bottom