Wacky LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atari

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS absolutely refuses to sell me any fish, LOL :lol: They said they don't sell marine fish to anyone whose tank is less than 3 months matured. How weird is that?!

I asked them what I could get, and they said some soft corals.. so I pointed at a rock of nice shrooms and they say no no the shrooms need a mature tank too.. :!:

Crazy.

Hmmm .... well, the fish thing maybe - at least better overly cautious than under-cautious. BUT -- corals would definitely need a more stable tank than would fish.
And, of all the soft corals available, mushrooms are definitely the most hardy.

Sounds like your LFS is at least trying to be ethical (gotta give them credit for that) - maybe they just need to brush up on reef 'facts' a bit.

Honestly, 3 mos is not a long time to wait before adding anything. 8)

I agree, It just caught me a bit offguard when everyone else seems to recommend using damsels to cycle. I actually wasn't planning to buy any fish, but I thought I'd ask them to see what they would try to sell me.

The shroom thing did make me laugh though. :D

or just say that your tank has been up for 3 months. they would not remember you if you came in like a week later and asked the same question.

Atari said:
My LFS absolutely refuses to sell me any fish, LOL :lol: They said they don't sell marine fish to anyone whose tank is less than 3 months matured. How weird is that?!

I asked them what I could get, and they said some soft corals.. so I pointed at a rock of nice shrooms and they say no no the shrooms need a mature tank too.. :!:

Crazy.

How can your tank be matured without any fish??? I could see only allowing some of the hardier specimens, but a total ban on fish seems absurd. They would be better off just requiring you to bring in a water sample for them to check first.

With that kind of weird mis-informedness from a LFS, I would take my business elsewhere.
Trying to make sure the fish get a proper home is one thing, but denying a sale based on wrong "facts". Jeesh. They are wacky indeed.

Actually the fish thing makes perfect sense to me.. I kinda thought it was cool. It was the part about corals being ok (but not shrooms) that I thought was wacky.

European practices are very different to American I guess. No one advocates a DSB here anymore, water changes are now thought to be detrimental to reef stability and are done as infrequently as permitting, and various other little things that I can't remember right now.

You crazy Brits!

At least they are attempting, although misinformed, they are attempting to protect SW species.

You crazy Brits!

At least they are attempting, although misinformed, they are attempting to protect SW species

have to say that they are the leaders in new ways/equipment over us by far !! so wouldnt knock them about that !! think its cool they care enough about their livestock but saberry hit it on the head "have them test your water " great idea !!

European practices are very different to American I guess. No one advocates a DSB here anymore, water changes are now thought to be detrimental to reef stability and are done as infrequently as permitting, and various other little things that I can't remember right now.

i can see the water thing a bit !! reason why i think alot have issues with water changes is that the new water will never really match your tank water exactly which could cause some shock!! the reason why i feel its best if you can to have your sump big enough to pull out 20% for your bi-weekly change and keep your pumps running !! then syphon thru a airline the new water back in !! then your change isnt noticed !! what i do and think it easier on me and the tank!!

i can see the water thing a bit !! reason why i think alot have issues with water changes is that the new water will never really match your tank water exactly which could cause some shock!! the reason why i feel its best if you can to have your sump big enough to pull out 20% for your bi-weekly change and keep your pumps running !! then syphon thru a airline the new water back in !! then your change isnt noticed !! what i do and think it easier on me and the tank!!

I agree. I purposely bought my overflow box larger than I needed so I could pump my water changes into the overflow and let it "pass" through the system before it gets to the tank. It seems to work OK for me. It takes a little more time to do but it seems more "natural" this way.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom