Waiting almost a month for fish. Should I reconsider?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My LFS holds and treats fish for two weeks before they go on display, if you purchase they will hold the fish in isolation for two more weeks if you request. They house most of the fish independently that cost more than 20 bucks. In addition they have sick tanks which they will show you but won't sell to you, if you want a fish that is sick they will hold until healthy and isolate for two weeks. That is why I trust my LFS, myself and 6 of my friends that keep sw tanks have never lost a fish we bought from them. After all of this I put them in my 35 gallon QT for a week anyways. The point I was making is QT is important, but even more so when you have no idea where it came from. How can you trust livestock that you buy sight unseen? Too many horror stories I have heard.

It's just not fair, IMO, to say an online retailer is more likely to have sick fish. GOOD online retailers QT their fish for a month before sending them out.
I don't understand the problem here. All I was saying is buying locally doesn't eliminate the need to QT.

Absolutely it doesn't eliminate the need as I said, but I have heartburn going by what an online company says they do and seeing the shape my friends Picasso trigger arrived in. Same for my neighbors flame angel, I am not suggesting that every fish purchased online is sickly, I am saying that I would much rather buy from a place where I can see the specimen before purchase, witness it eat and come back several times to ensure its health before I buy it, my lfs keeps the backdoor open, literally. There is something to be said for a store that transparent.

My advice to her would be to establish a QT regardless of where she obtains the livestock from, it can be set up cheap. Surf Craigslist for a small tank, cycle it and throw some pvc pieces in there for the fish to hid so they don't stress. No need to spend a lot of money on the setup.

I recently set up a qt on the cheap, the money isn't really the issue, it's the space. Current qt is on the kitchen table. LOL Unless the occupant dies or recovers really quick I can't use that one.

The two stores I have settled on dealing with can both hold my fish. After lenghtly discussions I know both of their qt procedures and would trust them to hold and care for the fish until I pick them up.

It's just that neither one has the black clowns and no one I could find in the phone book has em either. The one store got 2 but he said they looked real bad so he wouldnt sell them to me.

I know I can find the regular looking clownfish, even true percs if I wanted. Just so indecisive right now. I've been waiting what seems like forever. I've had an empty tank for almost 2 months. (cept for the anem, corals and cuc). Wasn't sure if people hold on this long for a silly fish.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

I have been in a LFS when fish come in and have seen how stressed out they are. So letting them keep them until I can see them eating is my way of saving myself money. There is a couple of LFS that QT the fish for 2 weeks but when I ask to see the fish eat they aren't eating yet and and I have actually seen the ribs sticking out on tangs the like.

No it isn't silly if that is the fish you are truly want. Some wild caught fish are seasonal people wait on them too.

Try bluezooaquatics.com I received a Kole tang, yellow watchman goby, and a dusky jawfish last Thursday. I had my QT set up, but was using a clamp (like a big dummy) temporarily to hold the air line for my sponge filter, and the splash rusted the darn thing over night, so I was unable to QT my 3 new fish.

Needless to say, all 3 fish arrived healthy. The tang was grazing within an hour, and the jawfish ate everything I gave him (I took him to a LFS yesterday because my tank has been a constant sandstorm since introducing him) and the YWG has gone MIA, but that's not uncommon from what I hear.

I highly recommend bluezooaquatics. Try them if you're not having any luck elsewhere.

Very cool site. They had more than I expected. I'm gonna browse over there for awhile, I can learn some stuff while I go too.

If I was gonna order online I was hoping to find a place in or near florida, that would make the travel time even less.

But then I'm back to the qt tank issue. Maybe i could move the FW qt into the guest room and put another one in the kitchen. LOL

I AM the crazy fish lady.....

As far as I'm aware, all places will ship priority overnight and wait until the last minute to take them to the shipper. Shipping time will be about the same no matter where you are. It's still going to take the flight, ride a truck, and sit until the local delivery drivers begin their routes.

Mine were shipped FedEx, and their priority overnights are delivered by 10:30 am. Mine arrived at 9:30. They left California at 7:30 pm my time, and were at my doorstep 14 hours later.

I got mine here... ORA Black & White False Percula - Aquacultured

Yeah, they're on a wait, but they physically drive to ORA and pick them up and pack and ship them. They don't even go into the SWfish tanks. ORA medicates and holds until they are healthy. You are getting fish that are in medicated water. The chances of them having anything are slim.

They're in Florida

Thanks!!! I'm getting so much information, I love it! The last site has them on backorder too. LOL But at least I have some options. I'm so excited again, even though I have no fish yet.

Carey, if u truly like them, then wait! Don't fill your tank with fish you don't want! I know it's hard, but so much more rewarding.

Think about that poor little fishy that got bought only because the tank was empty, and not because you love him.... So sad... *looks at you with bug sad eyes*

LOL I know. It'd be like the stepchild who just quite isnt loved in the same way. sniff**sniff*

And it's not even an exotic fish but for some reason they have caught my fancy. same thing with my anenome, I fell in love with it before I knew I couldnt have him. But I do have him, in fact just fed him. God I love that thing.

makes me want my clowns all the more. And I've expanded my choice to clarkii clowns as well!

Well the good news is that my favorite not local fish guy says he is getting at least 10 maybe 12 on Thursday! So I will have my pick on Friday. Oh I hope this is the lucky batch!

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes and include pictures :)

Well apparently the 5th week was not the charm. No fish for me...

Maybe I should start shopping for the other 2 fish I wanted to get. I want a blenny who just chills on rocks and looks cool and I think I want a goby of some sort. I def want very peaceful fish. Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

It'll give me something to do, I'm so sad. I feel like an expectant parent. lol

I like sailfin and lawnmower blennies. Only thing is there needs to be enough algae to support or you need to add nori sheets.

I'm not comfortable recommending gobies. Never had one. I'm considering so I'm interested in other opinions.

Back
Top Bottom