Wall of coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering how I could make the back wall of my tank covered in coral. How would you do it? Would it need to be textured? Just a thought.

Really depends on what kinds of coral you want on the back. Some, like Star Polyps, if placed against the back wall, will slowly creep up it anyway. One of the LFS here has a tank so encrusted with coralline algae that several types of soft coral have grown up onto it.
You could also use one of the 3D tank backgrounds to provide anchor point for corals and just let them spread.

So Gsp doesnt need any texture? I dont want to add a textured background if I don't have to. I just can't get the back clean because of my hob skimmer so something to cover it up would be nice.

GSP is kind of unique among the polyps because it's an encrusting soft coral. It encrusts a surface with that purple stuff, and the individual polyps grow from that.
I can't say for sure how far up they can grow before they might start falling off, but I would guess they can encrust up at least 6 or 8 inches.
Another thing to consider would be small shelves on which to place soft corals.

Forgot about the Xenias! Good call Joy. Never heard of encrusting Gorgonians, though. I must go check them out!

GSP is an encrusting Gorgonian. It will cover the entire back glass and not fall off if you let it.

This is why one should google "encrusting gorgonian" before saying he or she has never heard of it and will go google it.
*feels silly*

Lol I wouldn't have know either. Thanks everyone! I have read that I will regret ever putting Gsp in my tank.. Should I be cautious? I might do zoas on the back. Some nice hornets and eagle eyes would be cool.

I've heard they are like weeds. I don't know if they actually grow that fast though. I love the Darth maul zoas, they a pretty.

GSP can be peeled off surfaces pretty easily. It's not that big of a deal. Zoas on the other hand can go either way- Some are fast growing, and some are very slow.

No if u want ur back glass covered by them its perfect the grow fast,are colorfull,wavy,and then when they go too far just cut off the frags and give them to your lfs! I also heard they are easy to keep!

Back
Top Bottom